Join for free
Page 218 of 274 « First < 118 168 208 216 217 218 219 220 228 268 > Last »
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2018, 12:14 AM

Re: Floydy's All-Time Top 1000 Favourite Albums

Don't want to overload this detailed thread so keeping it short.All last batch excellent.
A Hard Days Night, a breath of fresh after all those turgid Elvis flicks.Catchy tunes and humour.
CSNY are legends but I think Mathew's Southern Comfort did Woodstock better.
Overandout.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2018, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
Don't want to overload this detailed thread so keeping it short.All last batch excellent.
A Hard Days Night, a breath of fresh after all those turgid Elvis flicks.Catchy tunes and humour.
CSNY are legends but I think Mathew's Southern Comfort did Woodstock better.
Overandout.
Hi bud.
On the contrary mate. I depend on people posting, the more the better. It's great to converse about these albums and it means my work here isn't a waste of time. I do feel I'm blindly posting these records sometimes but it's great when people do join in.
So please make your posts as lengthy and often as you like, it's a thread for everyone to contribute.

I agree about the track 'Woodstock'. Matthews Southern Comfort came out with the most lush, beautifully-produced version. Totally different to CSN&Y which is great but a little hippiefied! And I hate to say it, and I love Joni Mitchell, but her's is horribly shrill. Can't bear it.

Must have been fantastic to have been around at the time of The Beatles too mate. I was born the year when A Hard Day's Night came out. Sorry if that makes you feel old

Always great to see you in here, PS.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2018, 06:18 AM

Funnily enough, I was listening to 'Hard day's night' yesterday, just happened to dig it out at random. I would not call myself a Beatles fan as such but it's impossible not to sing along.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2018, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Funnily enough, I was listening to 'Hard day's night' yesterday, just happened to dig it out at random. I would not call myself a Beatles fan as such but it's impossible not to sing along.
Great album and the film is excellent.
As PSmith said, knocks spots off those terrible Elvis movies.
I think the turning point for The Beatles came with their next release Rubber Soul. When boys became men.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2018, 08:12 AM

Three great albums in a row.

Darkness At The Edge Of Town is one of my favourite Springsteen records - it doesn't get much better than that.

And DéJá Vu - such a classic. CSN were always better with Neil Young.

Regarding the Beatles I can't deny they made some of the greatest albums ever, but I just got over-exposed to them in the 70s and 80s growing up. U2 are another band I don't listen to anymore for this reason.

To a lesser extent it's the same with Pink Floyd; except for a couple of albums I just got tired of them. The same can be said for a few bands. So they wouldn't feature in the top spots of any list I might make up. Then again, I would struggle with a 1000 albums list - there are bound to be whole groups I would miss and some idiosyncratic entries, but that's the point, I suppose, it's a personal list.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2018, 10:00 AM

Worked with Allan and Graham in the early days and saw them grow and at that time we knew the way the order would be. Good looks then brains even though they were both so talented. (and yes it did get to Graham)

However even after all these years we still knew Allan had the better voice as Grahams weaker voice was an harmonising one that needed support.

(Most odd to hear Graham with that American twang)

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

05-05-2018, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Three great albums in a row.

Darkness At The Edge Of Town is one of my favourite Springsteen records - it doesn't get much better than that.

And DéJá Vu - such a classic. CSN were always better with Neil Young.

Regarding the Beatles I can't deny they made some of the greatest albums ever, but I just got over-exposed to them in the 70s and 80s growing up. U2 are another band I don't listen to anymore for this reason.

To a lesser extent it's the same with Pink Floyd; except for a couple of albums I just got tired of them. The same can be said for a few bands. So they wouldn't feature in the top spots of any list I might make up. Then again, I would struggle with a 1000 albums list - there are bound to be whole groups I would miss and some idiosyncratic entries, but that's the point, I suppose, it's a personal list.
Nice post Ffosse, thanks mate
I've always loved Springsteen ever since I heard The River on a single in late '79. Seen the man live three times and it's always a top quality show he and the E Street Band put on.

Over-exposure to bands can get tiresome after a while, and even I need a break from Pink Floyd occasionally. (I tend to listen to them in the winter more for some reason).
But it's having to listen to commercial radio at work that drives me nuts. It puts me off bands I used to really enjoy. For instance Bryan Adams, The Eurythmics and Queen are played to death and I can'r bear hearing most of their songs anymore. Big shame.

Yes mate, all lists are personal. It's just nice to see others sharing an interest in my own tastes and staying with me through this ridiculous tome I'm ploughing through.
Not too long left though now.

Since you've all been really good, I'll pop on a couple of albums before I go into the town and sample a few real ales this afternoon....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

05-05-2018, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Worked with Allan and Graham in the early days and saw them grow and at that time we knew the way the order would be. Good looks then brains even though they were both so talented. (and yes it did get to Graham)

However even after all these years we still knew Allan had the better voice as Grahams weaker voice was an harmonising one that needed support.

(Most odd to hear Graham with that American twang)
Very interesting to hear this, Solo. It must have been great to associate oneself with legends that these two are.
That's all, sadly, for the band in here, but we may see Neil again soon
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

05-05-2018, 11:49 AM

No.70: “The War Of The Worlds” by Jeff Wayne/Various Artists (1978)
The adaptation of H.G. Wells classic novel as recorded in a musical format featuring guest vocalists and musicians. Phil Lynott, Justin Hayward, David Essex, Julie Covington and many more performed songs (in studio form only at this point) to the orchestral arrangement of Jeff Wayne’s orchestra. What really made the album though was the inclusion of actor Richard Burton as the narrator of the whole story. This record has seen numerous re-vamps over the years with various updated albums and live shows and musical which are always extremely popular. A stunning double album which frightened this reviewer to death on hearing it through headphones for the first time in the 1980’s.

Sleeve image, other images:

Videos:

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

05-05-2018, 11:49 AM

Interview:

Personnel:
Jeff Wayne – composer, arranger, keyboards, synthesisers
• Richard Burton – spoken words (The Journalist: the narrator-protagonist)
• Justin Hayward – vocals (The Sung Thoughts of the Journalist)
• David Essex – spoken words and vocals (The Artilleryman)
• Chris Thompson – vocals (The Voice of Humanity)
• Phil Lynott – spoken words and vocals (Parson Nathaniel)
• Julie Covington – spoken words and vocals (Beth)
• Jerry Wayne – spoken words (The Voice of NASA)
• Chris Spedding – electric guitar, acoustic guitar
• Herbie Flowers – bass guitar
• Ken Freeman – keyboards, synthesisers
• George Fenton – santoor, zither, tar
• Jo Partridge – guitars (The Heat Ray), mandolin, vocals ('Ulla's)
• Barry Morgan – drums
• Barry da Souza, Roy Jones, Ray Cooper – percussion
• Paul Vigrass, Gary Osborne, Billy Lawrie – backing vocals

Page 218 of 274 « First < 118 168 208 216 217 218 219 220 228 268 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top