Join for free
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2017, 11:29 PM

Kitchen cupboard door

One cupboard door in my kitchen will NOT stay straight. I've tried fixing it...........also paid a DIY handyman to fix it.......stays straight for a short time, then droops! (No funnies here please!).
One solution is............the other side of the cupboard unit is the fridge and there's enough space inbetween to put a small bolt. BUT I don't want to put so much excess on the hinge/side of the cupboard to cause even more problems, so would probably need to bolt both hinges - so a total of four bolt thingies.
I think I may be able to do this myself, unless I can hijack a bloke from B&Q........

Any thoughts? ........preferably constructive, not hijacking plans!!???!!!!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2017, 12:15 AM

Re: Kitchen cupboard door

Lindy are they standard kitchen units, if so change the hinges maybe The screw holes may have become warped with age and not holding the screws tightly enough allowing the door to drop .

Can you post a picture
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2017, 08:10 AM

Sometimes the bracket is loose because the holes in the wood are worn.
You can now buy a steel bracket to place over the wood and then screw your hinge onto that.
I did it a few months back for a few of my boys kitchen doors that had become loose.
They are still solid now so they do work.
The brackets are quite cheap.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p25950?table=no

Order over £10 and you get free delivery within 2 days.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2017, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
You can now buy a steel bracket to place over the wood and then screw your hinge onto that.
I did it a few months back for a few of my boys kitchen doors that had become loose.

That's handy to know, we have lots of these useless hinges at work and I have made my own version of this repair bracket, would be easier to buy some though.
gvm
Sussex, UK
gvm is male  gvm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2017, 09:28 AM

Are you sure that it's not the whole side of the cupboard that's moving? I had one like this and the cupboard was gradually coming apart at the bottom. Eventually had to replace it as the wood was disintegrating...
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2017, 09:31 AM

Longfellow - that looks like it will do the trick, but I'll take a closer look at the problem and check the cupboard isn't coming apart. Thanks everyone for your comments.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

21-02-2017, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->

UPDATE UPDATEA

Longfellow - you were absolutely spot on! I bought the brackets you recommended from toolstation and both have now been fitted. The kitchen door is now straight and perfect.

Thanks very much!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top