Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2009, 01:22 PM

Re: Credit cards

Never withdraw cash from your credit card,. . the interest rates are through the roof, . . I'm sure I heard someone say the RBS takes £5 per day.

If you do need a small overdraft speak to your bank to arrange one, withdrawing cash, even a small amount, when there's insufficient funds in your account can cost you dear.

For a start they'll send you a letter and charge you £12.

I applied for an overdraft facility 6 years ago, never use it but it's there if I need it.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2009, 02:12 PM

I had a Master Card up until a few months ago. Heard from them that they would up my interest rate or I could opt out I chose to opt out. They weren't making money off of me. I was a great customer in my eyes but in their eyes I wasn't using it enough and I was paying it off (they hate that) Yes, they kept increasing the credit line until I got ahold of a manager and blew my top.

My bank debit card works fine here and on my trip. We blame other things for the financial shape we are in now but alot of us were living way beyond our means with every company offering a card and banks lending against our homes with nothing but a signature. Some think we will go back to that but I hope laws Obama is trying to put in place will stop all that. At least you will be able to sleep at night.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2009, 04:13 PM

This is the thing with banks, . . they don't want creditors to clear their accounts every month, they like a bit of interest, . . one or two friends of mine have had their cards withdraw coz they were clearing them off.

I always leave a little to pay, . . it keeps em happy, . . the interest rate is about 11% per month so as long as it's a small amount owing it only comes to pennies.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2009, 04:16 PM

Well I don't want to keep them happy I'd like to see them all go to jail.
nero
Central Scotland

08-11-2009, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by buzzie ->
Well I don't want to keep them happy I'd like to see them all go to jail.
Errr Joan, . . you're still using their debit card aintcha.
buzzie
USA

08-11-2009, 04:37 PM

Yes because there are so many benefits when working with my own bank of 30 years. The only problem that I can see with a debit cards would be overdraft fees and that I don't worry about or dispute a purchase and I never have done that.....or once and was able to reach the company and work it all out.

This really explains it well.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/06/yo...imercards.html
nero
Central Scotland

08-11-2009, 04:43 PM

While we're on the subject of cards and such, . . buying on-line can be risky business, especially at this time of year, . . I use Pay Pal, . . they're very good and if you either get ripped off or have a problem with a product they'll see you get either refunded or have the item replaced.
buzzie
USA

08-11-2009, 05:07 PM

Good Point, I use Pay Pal when I order on the internet if they offer it and more and more are.
nero
Central Scotland

09-11-2009, 03:54 PM

I read a story last year Joan about a customer who had been conned by a company in Italy, . . Pay-Pal got a refund for her . . as you say though, more and more sites on the I-Net are going the Pay-Pal way which is good for us shoppers.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2009, 05:56 PM

Had the CC security on the phone this am. Some bar-steward has been using our number fraudulently
No loss to us - the company take the pain - but cards cut up and now we have to wait for new ones to be sent. Grrr

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top