Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2009, 11:21 AM

Cooker cleaning

How do you keep yours pristine ?

We've got a white one which gets all grotty with grease splashes etc, . . even the stainless kettle gets spots of grease due to bacon and such frying.

I've found the best remover of this gunge is Caustic Soda crystals, . . big stores don't sell them, . . I get them from small hardware shops, . . you must wear rubber gloves using this stuff, it'll take the skin off your hands.

The crystals look like sugar, . . soak the hob top (really wet) then sprinkle the crystals on, . . agitate them with a nylon brush then leave it for a couple of hours, . . you'll be amazed the way burned-on grime comes off, . . no scouring required either, . . be careful you don't get burned with the caustic though.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2009, 01:12 PM

Re: Cooker cleaning

What about breathing that stuff in Denis, it sounds dangerous to use. I'm all about clean too but ..... hope you're feeling better today.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2009, 01:16 PM

The only time I have used caustic soda crystals is for blocked drainpipes!

Caustic soda is lethal and I wouldn't fancy using it on my cooker

I have a ceramic hob cooker which I clean with Hob Brite after every use and it removes spill and fat splashes easily.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2009, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by buzzie ->
What about breathing that stuff in Denis, it sounds dangerous to use. I'm all about clean too but ..... hope you're feeling better today.
It's not dusty Joan, it's like sugar granules, . . as long as you're sensible it's safe enough.

Grease and fat is unavoidable when frying and the heat from the gas burns it to black carbon which is a nightmare to remove, . . this stuff melts it away without scrubbing or scouring, . . but care is needed.

Blocked drains can be cleared too, tipping it down the drain last thing at night burns any gunge by morning.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2009, 01:53 PM

MEN
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2009, 04:53 PM

There are mobile oven cleaning services who park up outside your home, remove all the removable bits of your cooker and take them to the van and return them clean and sparkling, having cleaned the non-movable bits in the meantime.
I'm going to get them in after xmas - a little treat!
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2009, 06:58 PM

No cleaning products like that come into my house neither does Teflon. They are killers to birds and small animals. Teflon fumes are highly poisonous. I wipe constantly with a soapy sponge as all fat needs to break down is soap. I use lids on pans and turn the heat down too. I dont have anything in the place that has a smell.
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2009, 07:05 PM

We have an Aga which self cleans, I just occasionally wash the top down with soapy water.
Calismum
Scotland
Calismum is female  Calismum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2009, 11:24 PM

Bicarb of soda, lemon juice, vinigar and elbow grease for the cooker.

Dettol and cif in bathroom and kitchen surfaces.

Savlon for floors.
nero
Central Scotland

11-11-2009, 03:03 AM

Here's our cooker, . . it's 12 years old with not a scratch anywhere, . . I don't need to scour it coz the caustic does the job.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top