Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2013, 07:25 PM

Cracks in Paint............

When we moved into our bungalow, the kitchen walls were painted a muddy brown. Not being partial to that , they were repainted cream.

A year later, there are little hairline cracks all over the surface of the paint. I thought at first it was because of the heat from the cooker, but there are the same cracks in other places too.

I daren't take the lining paper underneath off, as I suspect it's hiding dodgy wall surfaces.

Two questions - what may have caused this - and would I be ok just to put another coat of paint on top? I'm concerned that if I did the latter, I'd have the same problem and I don't want to face it again......

I've thought about papering with wipe-down wall covering, but that would be a nightmare, as there is so much cutting in to do.

I'd really appreciate any answers/suggestions for my problem

Gwyn
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2013, 12:53 AM

Re: Cracks in Paint............

Originally Posted by AliceB ->
When we moved into our bungalow, the kitchen walls were painted a muddy brown. Not being partial to that , they were repainted cream.

A year later, there are little hairline cracks all over the surface of the paint. I thought at first it was because of the heat from the cooker, but there are the same cracks in other places too.

I daren't take the lining paper underneath off, as I suspect it's hiding dodgy wall surfaces.

Two questions - what may have caused this - and would I be ok just to put another coat of paint on top? I'm concerned that if I did the latter, I'd have the same problem and I don't want to face it again......

I've thought about papering with wipe-down wall covering, but that would be a nightmare, as there is so much cutting in to do.

I'd really appreciate any answers/suggestions for my problem

Gwyn
Hiya lass

I'm no DIY expert by any means, but I've been having a think about this.

How long has the lining paper been on the walls? If it's been on there a long time it could be that it's started to shrink with age, which might cause the cracking in the paint.

It's never a good idea to paint over paper anyway unless it's anaglypta which is made for the job, and lining paper is very thin, I think, but I've never used it.

Sadly it may mean that you'll at some point have to strip that paper off and see what it reveals as to the state of the walls underneath and, if the plaster is perished, you may need a plasterer, who don't come cheap if they're worth their salt.

Don't throw more good money at your walls though lass by re-painting because you could have the same problem again in a few months.

Is there an area that you could pluck away at the paper, like behind your cooker, to get an idea of what the wall is like underneath?
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2013, 10:46 AM

Thanks for your advice and help, Mollie.

I don't know how long the paper's been up. All the other walls in the house have anaglypta on, which, as you say, can be painted. The paper in the kitchen is much thinner - it was just an attempt to cover the yukky brown which made me paint over.

I suspected that I was in for big trouble so I think I'll have to find a kind handyman to take a look and then take two aspirin and have a lie down once he tells me the cost !

Gwyn
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2013, 10:52 AM

If the paper had been painted previously, it could be that the paint you have applied has reacted with the paint underneath. If it was me, I'd rub down over the cracks, apply a sealant paint and repaint.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2013, 01:38 PM

I'm with BV on that one. The formulation of paints has changed over the past few years and seen examples of incompatible paints causing cracking.

I'd 'bite the bullet', strip the walls and re-paper with something specifically meant for painting. Rememner, if you don't do it right, you have to do it twice.
AliceB
Cheshire

12-07-2013, 05:57 PM

Thank you both for your advice. As I said earlier, I suspected I was in for big trouble!

I'll plod on..............

Gwyn
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2013, 10:24 PM

Crackle glaze is back in fashion, as is "Shabby Chic" that's my excuse for not decorating.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2013, 01:26 AM

I thought this quite an amusing crack in paint

AliceB
Cheshire

13-07-2013, 07:46 AM

Ah, I must qualify for a designer award Twizard - this is super shabby chic!!

A man with the same sense of humour as me - like the poster, Bruce!

Gwyn
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2013, 08:52 AM

I know nothing about paint but am interested to know if ALICE.B relates to the lady known as ALice B Toklas, a fascinating character, friend of GErtrude Stein.

When I was mobile , back in my 20s I used to buy VALSPAR from Woolworths & ONE coat covered a multitude of sins. I even put it on my rusty car to give a bit more use.

You seem to have some good advice on here

I hope it all turns out OK, of course it will, everything gets sorted eventually Gwen.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top