Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2013, 11:35 PM

Re: Genealogy Corner

I started doing a course on this subject last year and it really can be fascinating, although I confess I found some of it really hard going and eventually gave up. Pity in a way, I would have liked to have known more, but really needed patient to help me.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2013, 11:37 PM

[ Pity in a way, I would have liked to have known more, but really needed patient to help me.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, that should have read "someone patient" .
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2013, 07:07 AM

So far I have found - with provenance - a Canon of the RC Church, several nuns, an author, several sea captains and an opera singer !

It is great fun!

Mups - what is it that you were stuck with - can we help you?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2013, 08:31 AM

I'm extremely fortunate living in London, which gives me access to Archives. I intend going back to the LMA where I spent hours on Wednesday, apart from the fact I was able to use Ancestry website on the PC without time restriction. I also plan on visiting Kew at some stage to see what's there. Also, I can visit the Essex museum (might go when I am on holiday next month in Clacton) to research the Army records for my grandfather. I might even find entries for the family which lived in Essex back in the 1800s.
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2013, 08:41 AM

I'm sure we can help you between us Mups, how far did you get?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

09-08-2013, 09:27 AM

That's really kind of you Silver Tabby & Valice. Trouble was, the chap that was teaching whizzed through everything much too fast, while I was trying to follow something carefully he had leapt on about 6 more generations. He also did most of the looking up for us, so I felt I was learning how to do it myself. Maybe I'll try to dig out the old paperwork sometime and have another think about it again. Once again thank you both very much.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

09-08-2013, 09:30 AM

As far as I can remember, he belonged to all different search places which he had to pay tokens or something for, but I never really understood it.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2013, 10:27 AM

'Ancestry' (website)

You can do a 2 week freebie .... and/or buy 'family tree maker'.

Look on ebay/amazon and you should find FTM with 3 or 6 moths free Ancestry subscription thrown in
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2013, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
'Ancestry' (website)

You can do a 2 week freebie .... and/or buy 'family tree maker'.

Look on ebay/amazon and you should find FTM with 3 or 6 moths free Ancestry subscription thrown in
Or try asking in your local library. Most have a free connection to Ancestry. That's what I use now. I refuse to pay for the pay as you go credits, when I can get it for nothing!!
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2013, 06:12 PM

Hi, I have done two so far, my Father and my Father-in-Law. Unless you have a lot of spare time on your hands, then it's fun, but can also be expensive.

The best person on this site for Family Tree's is my friend BowieEyes.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top