Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 06:24 PM

I've been done!!!!!!

Feckin furious! Two days before I go away on holiday I find my bank account has been compromised.

On Sunday I went on to a Red Cross site to donate to the Philippines disaster, as I have a very dear close Filipina ex colleague.

Yesterday I transferred some money from one account to the current, to keep me in funds while away. Planned to use ATM to get Euros (already have some to take with me). Today I withdrew some cash and found my balance, instead of being in credit to about £138, was now in debit to the tune of £131! WTF?!

Logged on to online banking and found 3 fraudulent transactions. Straight on the phone to the bank and there is another pending for Tesco delivery. I said, categorically not. So, the upshot is, 2 days before I fly out, my card has been cancelled!

The new card will be delayed till nearer the time I get back as it would lay outside in the hallway where any bar steward could pick it up. I have gone online to my bank to send them a secure message confirming our conversation and confirming the frauds. I have also gone on to Paypal, changed my password and told them of a Paypal fraud with a reference number.

According to these frauds I am staying in the Travelodge £58, I went to the Hungry House £17.97 and I got something called Ebuyer. £79.24. Didn't get round to asking how much the Tesco one was for!

I don't have time now to be messing about with getting more money. There is the bank account I opened with the balance of Mum's estate, and I'm obviously going to have to use that. But supposing that wasn't available? In my secure message to them I said, please protect my accounts!

My own bank are very good with using ATMs in Europe but as I have other online accounts this way I'm hoping they won't be compromised too. I told the bank I don't intend logging on to my account while away - for extra security.

It had to happen to me, didn't it?!!!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 06:41 PM

Re: I've been done!!!!!!

Oh God Jazzi - how bloomin awful !
Any idea 'how' it happened gal .....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 06:47 PM

Aw Janet that's awful and terrible timing

I hope it doesn't upset your holiday too much..
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 06:55 PM

Patsy, it had to be when I did the Paypal donation. There was another one from my card for Paypal, then the others that came out of the account.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 07:03 PM

Oh really - so Paypal is 'not' a good idea then !
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 07:13 PM

How rotten and distressing for you Janet.

Makes me angry, to think there are such diabolical people about.

I endorse what Meg said, I too hope it doesn't spoil your holiday.

We took delivery of a parcel some time ago. We realised after, that we hadn't ordered anything - rang the company, who made arrangements for someone to pick it up next morning.
A guy knocked to pick it up and half an hour later a lady turned up too!
Rang the bank and had our cards cancelled - it originated in America and there was another transaction in the pipeline.
It all makes me very cross

I like Paypal, but all companies/banks etc., can be compromised, there are some clever people out there.
Paypal address you by name, not 'Dear member' etc.,
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

19-11-2013, 07:14 PM

No. I wish I'd gone in to a bank and done the donation that way. I am going to think very seriously now about what I do online. And there's me bragging that I don't let anybody catch me out! I guess you can't always get out of it.

In future I plan on getting a GBP cash passport card (just like you can use for going on holiday), just for doing online transactions. That way no bank account is at risk.

I've ordered a six digit security key with Paypal now.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

19-11-2013, 07:19 PM

With all the time I spent this afternoon, on the phone to the bank, on the internet getting things secure, and talking about here online, it's just as well I'm ahead with all my holiday preparations.

This morning was doing the computer course, out to a bank to deal with committee work, more shopping, drawing out money (and it's by glancing at the receipt that I noticed I was in debit), logging on to my bank and seeing these naughty debits. Such a lot of time wasted...

Now got dinner on and trying to calm down.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 08:24 PM

Do you think it was a dodgy Red Cross site some one set up I've heard of these things happening on line when a disaster happens .
we have been told by the local police to be on guard with Outside cash machines at a area very close to us there's been some gadget put on that copies your PIN number when you draw cash out .

hope you holiday goes well and look on the bright side you could have had a lot more money taken .
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

19-11-2013, 09:25 PM

Just phoned my neighbour, Eliza, and she asked was the site genuine? I replied, well I think it was! Normally my anti viral suite would give a green tick against a genuine site. Can't remember now if it did. I don't know if it's worth me trying to contact them to see if any money did reach them.

I try not to use outside ATMs for that very reason. But as I also told my friend, there could be dodgy EFTPOS machines in any store or shop. I could have been scammed during a recent trip to one of them. But because one of the frauds was a Paypal one, it makes me think it started from there.

I have notified every company of these frauds. My bank will call me back tomorrow evening with an update.

Thanks. I'll try and enjoy.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top