Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 09:39 PM

Re: I've been done!!!!!!

As far as I know for someone to be able to use your paypal account they would have to know your password. Ebay does have a quick payment method where you don't have to go through the whole entering the password process but apart from that normally each transaction means you enter a password. Going by this the scammers must have somehow got hold of your paypal password.

Virus checkers are obviously very good but there are ways around it. A computer system can be compromised whereby everything you type is logged and passed on. It might be a good idea to download Malwarebytes and do a malware scan.

Malwarebytes Free Download

If this happened to me I would do a thorough check on background processes to see if anything is running that shouldn't be. If you are not up to the task of doing it then have you someone that can do it for you?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 09:47 PM

I could do that myself Mark but it really will have to wait till I've come back from holiday. I know that sort of job is very time consuming and I have nowhere near the opportunity or spare time to do it now!!

I am only thankful I did all my ironing yesterday and the case is almost packed. I have panicked enough without needing all this extra panic. So wanted to relax tonight but have spent hours reporting the frauds to every third party concerned, even emailing the Red Cross asking if they received the donation.

I checked. It was at the top of the Google page after searching, and had a yellow Ad icon next to it. Of course it looked genuine (I looked through the site again)
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 10:50 PM

Oh Jazzi, what a bloomin' rotten thing to happen, I feel so sorry for you. I do hope everything works out alright, and you get your money refunded.
B . . . . . ds aren't they.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2013, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Oh Jazzi, what a bloomin' rotten thing to happen, I feel so sorry for you. I do hope everything works out alright, and you get your money refunded.
B . . . . . ds aren't they.
Thanks.

When talking to my neighbour she said, I must open up my own bank statement and check. She has an overdraft limit of £1,000! I said you'd better get that reduced. She never normally checks her account. I asked, don't you even get a mini statement printed every now and then? Answer, no. Sheesh!

I keep a cashbook and record every single transaction, so I was able to reel off valid ones in my account when talking to my bank.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 01:13 AM

Oh dear Jazzi so sorry to hear this bad news but thank goodness the amounts are relatively small. I know it is a lot of money to lose and I hope the bank soon sorts it out for you.

You say one transaction is for a Tesco delivery - they must have given their address for that !

Thank you to MKJ for the info re Malwarebytes download - I've just done it and there were 20 items to be removed !
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 11:07 AM

[QUOTE=Jazzi;379508]Thanks.

When talking to my neighbour she said, I must open up my own bank statement and check. She has an overdraft limit of £1,000! I said you'd better get that reduced. She never normally checks her account. I asked, don't you even get a mini statement printed every now and then? Answer, no. Sheesh!
I keep a cashbook and record every single transaction, so I was able to reel off valid ones in my account when talking to my bank.[/QUOTE]

Same here Jazzi. I've done that for a very long time.
A friend of mine also got caught like you recently, but because she checks her accounts reguarly, she spotted it quickly. She said they started off just taking tiny amounts, presumably to see whether it got noticed, then she thinks they would have gone for the big one.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

20-11-2013, 11:45 AM

Trouble is they did go for big ones, but as my friend confirmed with myrtle, there must be addresses that can be checked. I'm hoping the third party companies who have been defrauded will go down that route. I have just over an hour till I can check in online. Might try downloading the malwarebytes.

Laters
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

20-11-2013, 11:53 AM

Scanning now. 2 objects found so far.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

20-11-2013, 11:59 AM

3 items found, now removed. Thanks Mark for the link, had to be updated but now done.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

20-11-2013, 09:22 PM

The bank phoned this evening, as promised. Told me about pending Tesco deliveries (plural). I said, how many? Two, totalling over £170. Sheesh, I went into a blind panic. Said please don't let them through, whatever you do!! She said, not to worry. How can I not?!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top