Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2014, 02:49 PM

Re: Over 50s Club London

Would be nice to chat about London - Petticoat Lane - a favourite market, the other one being East Lane market (Walworth Road), I'm feeling a little sad as I struggled with recalling the name East Lane and yet I was a regular visitor
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2014, 03:27 PM

My mother in law had a café on Petticoat Lane became a bookies I believe. Has for East Street mkt our house was in Penrose Street other side of the Walworth Road. My daughter still lives in King and Queen Street off East Street.
Don't think you would recognise the market these days full of foreign stall holders hardly any locals left down there.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2014, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
My mother in law had a café on Petticoat Lane became a bookies I believe. Has for East Street mkt our house was in Penrose Street other side of the Walworth Road. My daughter still lives in King and Queen Street off East Street.
Don't think you would recognise the market these days full of foreign stall holders hardly any locals left down there.
Haven't been back for many years, want to remember it as it was.
The Trocadero down the Old Kent Road, ABC - I think, it was right opposite - FAB !
longfellow
Chatterbox
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2014, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Haven't been back for many years, want to remember it as it was.
The Trocadero down the Old Kent Road, ABC - I think, it was right opposite - FAB !
The Troc was actually on Tower Bridge Road but I dare say you could see it from the Old Kent Road. The ABC was opposite The Empire which is about to lose its licence I believe. The ABC travesty was that it was knocked down some years ago and there was an uproar because it was said to be a listed building.Then the cheeky buggers applied for planning permission afterwards to build the block of flats that is now standing in its place.
Yes I think you are right Patsy (when I see what is going on around there these days also The Heygate is down as well new appartments are going up there to).
Best to remember it all as it was.
But I do miss the old place I think the only place that you may remember these days is The World Turned Upside Down pub near the old Bricklayers shunting yard.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

05-11-2014, 06:27 PM

Oh must have been the Odeon opposite the Troc, you could literally cross the road to it. The Troc was very fancy wasn't it, don't tell me if its gone ....
I lived in the Elephant and Castle so could do the walk easily, the cinema opposite, I used to go to the Saturday morning pictures there .......
Don't recall your pub, the Worlds End I do and the Frog and Nightgown in Old Kent Road .....
longfellow
Chatterbox

05-11-2014, 06:56 PM

Sorry Patsy you are right The Worlds End that's still there I was thinking of another pub, and The Frog became a nightclub I used it a couple of times but I was growing out of that kind of scene at the time, becoming a father with responsibilities. .
The Dun Cow further up the Old Kent Road and the Green Man have both gone.They were owned by the same gaffer either side of the road. On Thursdays and Sundays we would watch comedians like Jim Davidson Jimmy Jones the both pubs were packed the owner would have the speakers wired across the Old Kent Road so we could all listen. Crazy days.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

05-11-2014, 07:05 PM

Sorry Patsy you are right The Worlds End that's still there I was thinking of another pub, and The Frog became a nightclub I used it a couple of times but I was growing out of that kind of scene at the time, becoming a father with responsibilities. .
The Dun Cow further up the Old Kent Road and the Green Man have both gone.They were owned by the same gaffer either side of the road. On Thursdays and Sundays we would watch comedians like Jim Davidson Jimmy Jones the both pubs were packed the owner would have the speakers wired across the Old Kent Road so we could all listen. Crazy days.
Yes ! True ! Thanks for those memory jogs, I never want to lose them. A singer in the Frog, Sunday lunchtime, sounded the image of Frank S, he would walk out of the pub still singing on the mike and sing to the passers by and bus passengers, a fella after me own heart
I remember the Green Man and Dun Cow too !
longfellow
Chatterbox

05-11-2014, 09:03 PM

Patsy if you want to see the area from the early days checkout a pair of local lads who wrote a couple of books I have them on my shelf they are full of old pictures and loads of small print you may well see a few old mates in there to.

Mark Baxter & Darren Lock
Walworth Through Time
Price £14.99 each.

My sister in law bought them for me when she heard I was getting home sick last year.
Beautifully illustrated.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

06-11-2014, 11:17 AM

Patsy if you want to see the area from the early days checkout a pair of local lads who wrote a couple of books I have them on my shelf they are full of old pictures and loads of small print you may well see a few old mates in there to.

Mark Baxter & Darren Lock
Walworth Through Time
Price £14.99 each.

My sister in law bought them for me when she heard I was getting home sick last year.
Beautifully illustrated.
Thanks a million - will check these out today !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

06-11-2014, 04:35 PM

In your opinion which is the best out of the two versions for the fifties through to eighties.
Whilst I was looking - saw a book on the Elephant and Castle, will definitely be treating meself to that one !
Thanks again for the info

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top