Join for free
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2010, 02:39 PM

What are you doing to save money in this economy?

A while back when the transmission went on my car, i decided to do without one completely. We have a service here in our county that if we call the day before will pick us up at the door and take us anywhere in our county for $2 each way which is just wonderful. I loved to drive and wondered how I would adjust and did just fine.

A year ago I gave up cable for my tv as well and the three main channels are doing me quite well except I miss the home and garden channel so much.

These two things have allowed me a little to spend on my family that I love doing and also put some away for a rainy day.
I mean another rainy day.

What about you??
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2010, 04:58 PM

Re: What are you doing to save money in this economy?

Good ideas Buzzie!

I don't drink or smoke or go out really - so that saves a bomb

And I prefer to get good quality meat from M&S, like a bag of fresh chicken thighs which I freeze... and then I only use HALF per meal (us lot in the west eat way too much!) so that makes it go twice as far. Besides having more veg is better for you!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2010, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by buzzie ->
We have a service here in our county that if we call the day before will pick us up at the door and take us anywhere in our county for $2 each way which is just wonderful.
Wow that sounds good, especially as I believe American counties can be quite big, I think that idea would go down well in UK. Pensioners get free bus passes in England & Wales (Not Scotland) but of course you can only go where the bus goes
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2010, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Good ideas Buzzie!

I don't drink or smoke or go out really - so that saves a bomb

And I prefer to get good quality meat from M&S, like a bag of fresh chicken thighs which I freeze... and then I only use HALF per meal (us lot in the west eat way too much!) so that makes it go twice as far. Besides having more veg is better for you!
That first sentence saves you a bundle for sure.

I do think it is expensive to eat healthy but in the long run it does pay big dividends. Lots of vegies and fruit is so much better for you than the pasta and potatoes. I agree as a society we eat too much.
buzzie
USA

19-01-2010, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Wow that sounds good, especially as I believe American counties can be quite big, I think that idea would go down well in UK. Pensioners get free bus passes in England & Wales (Not Scotland) but of course you can only go where the bus goes
It's really great Harvey and I feel very fortunate that I don't have to be bothering my daughter alot. She's a teacher and off in the summer and we have a great old time but I don't like to bother her much other wise. We talk every day, she's 40 minutes from here.

You are right Summit County covers a vast area 443 sq. miles to be exact so they do travel. Of course they are not going to take you 50 miles to a beauty palor or movie theatre but really would for a Dr., Dentist or a job.....few that go that far though. One of the drivers told me they used to go to Start and Portage also but now they have their own buses.

It's a government program and they have a contract with yellow cab where if they are filled for the day, the cabs will take alot of the people. I have never had one not show up even in a snow storm.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2010, 12:39 PM

There is an organisation in Cumbria called Rural Wheels and it is run by Enviornment Transport Unit of Cumbria County Council. The trasport is subsidised and costs 30p per mile for all journeys. You put say, £5 onto a smart card, this is the size of a credit card £5 becomes 500 points and your driver can top up your card. I have spoken to other people around the country and many County Councils have the same sort of service. I was told to ask at my doctors surgery or ring the County Council Offices.
Wanda
High Peak, Derbyshire, UK
Wanda is female  Wanda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2010, 08:27 PM

Round here you are expected to walk - I don't think our Council likes people very much......and the Government certainly doesn't!!!

I very rarely go out, don't drink, except the occasional special occasion, and no longer smoke, so there is a bit of a saving. I also try to avoid buying ready meals, either from shops or takeaways, because I think they are expensive. I need my van for my job, so I cannot really give that up. I do try to economise on my heating and using things like washing machine and drier, switching off lights etc.

However, I have to say, I do not believe in being cold in the house, so although I may turn the heating down and it is usually on timer, in cold weather I make sure it is on, and I am warm!
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2010, 09:40 PM

These things are not always run by the council. Look under voluntary transport. Many organisations have volunteers who are happy to run people to hospital and doctors appointments for about 30p per mile. Around here it is Phoenix Trust and Northern Fells Group. They are angels. Over Christmas my MIL and me would both have been alone but a volunteer brought MIL over to me for three days then picked her up and took her back all for 30per mile because neither of us drive.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top