Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2010, 04:55 PM

How to get rid of a wasp queen?

I think she's back

Some of you may remember that last year there was a wasps nest in my loft - I didn't 'kill' them just thought they'd go away at the end of the summer... well, today... I can hear the 'queen' buzzing around the loft!!

What's the best way to get 'rid of her'? Spray a can of wasp killer in the loft? No way I'm going up there will just open it a bit and hope for the best
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2010, 04:59 PM

Re: How to get rid of a wasp queen?

Get environmental in Azz, . . they're professionals and know what they're doing, . . wasps are predators and bandits, . .they kill honey bees so kill em all.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2010, 05:08 PM

My Parents had trouble with wasps in their loft, they got the environmental people out and the chap that came out was very good, he just had a black bin bag, went up there, sorted it out and my Parents have never had any trouble with wasps since.

So please take Nero's advice Azz, it doesn't cost much.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2010, 05:37 PM

I don't think it's a nest at this stage... she's looking for a place by the sound of it :-/

I heard the same thing last year, but forgot about it - and it was this time of year too.

I've left the light on up there, and sprayed some insect killer that I found in the shed.. let's hope that makes her go elsewhere! If not I'll call the council out and see if they can help
bloggsy
Hampshire
bloggsy is male  bloggsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2010, 06:30 PM

Sprinkle some wasp powder in the area where you think she is . It's always worked for me
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

28-03-2010, 06:34 PM

Thanks bloggsy I will have to get some in the week. I just hope the light has deterred her enough to run off (haven't heard buzzing since) and that she goes far far away and not somewhere worse like in or around the fire in the lounge (as it runs up this side)

Knowing my luck that's exactly what will happen
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2010, 06:44 PM

This spray sounds good Azz ..... it fires a jet up to 18 feet, you won't have to get too near the nest then.

http://www.ppcsupplies.co.uk/waspdestroyer

Just be careful you don't inhale it.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

28-03-2010, 08:00 PM

Looks good Mags! Wish I knew about that last year
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2010, 08:12 AM

There have been a couple of attempts by queen wasps to make nests in our loft. Usually detected by the buzzing noise shortly after the fluorescent light is switched on. I get up there a few times purely for this purpose around this time of year.

Since they are attracted by the light, I just bide my time and wait for the wasp to become visible. Then use a good squirt of ordinary fly/wasp spray when within range. That does the trick.

I once tried leaving a wasps nest but as the year progressed, the wasps started getting everywhere and we had to get the nest destroyed. That was the one and only time I tried the 'let nature take its course' approach. These days I'll look around in the sheds and everywhere to make sure no nests are being built.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2010, 10:24 AM

If you choose the environmental services be quick Azz, . . there's moves afoot to end this free service mate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top