Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2016, 05:56 PM

Re: Water softener

Originally Posted by countrygirl ->
We used to have terrible lime-scale in our last property but here, only a few miles away it's not nearly as bad. Lime-scale in water, according to some experts, helps contribute to our calcium and magnesium requirements when we drink it. I don't think it is very good for hair or skin. I also think it might be bad for washing machines.
Strangely enough when we're away from home my hair is much better behaved, must be soft water areas, I think.
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2016, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Am I right they save money on products over the years indigo ?
Certainly they do, Julie! Our other white goods are lasting much longer, and the shower also. When we moved in, the people who sold us the house, said to buy cheap shower units, as they would scale up in no time. We chose instead to get a water softener - and our shower unit is still going strong after 10 years.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2016, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Is that the magnetic one ? We tried the magnets but the salt one is far superior for softening affects.
True but some think that there a certain medical conditions associated with natural soft water.

But to be fair also as well in hard water areas.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2016, 10:44 AM

I'm another water softener fan.

Our water is so chalky I never felt the house was clean - all stainless steel or tiled surfaces needed a constant wipe down with Viakal (or vinegar!) or they looked scummy. Imagine what that does to the CH or washing machine/dishwasher.

It is an expensive item to install but I think you get continuing small economies. For instance I use only half the recommended quantities of washing liquid and dishwasher powder (have to buy 'non tablet/capsule' varieties, to be able to reduce the dose) and a bottle of shampoo lasts for absolutely ages.

A word of warning - the bath/shower is very slippery with soft water!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2016, 11:04 AM

Yes we have had to put a rubber mat in the shower. It was like a skating rink.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2016, 10:18 PM

You just buy those little tablets ( calgon ) that you put into the machine with the wash and it will last for years even in a hard water area,
£ 400 sounds really cheap for a water softener.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2016, 10:46 PM

It's about right looking on Amazon which is where we got it from. The big companies Harvey's kinetico etc charge like wounded Bulls.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top