Join for free
Page 305 of 1676 « First < 205 255 295 303 304 305 306 307 315 355 405 805 1305 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2017, 07:06 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Holy Sapphire!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2017, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Holy Sapphire!
my god spifire has seen the holy ghost - welcome home brother - Jem will bless you in a moment with a few sprinklings of the holy water [guiness]
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2017, 07:34 AM

I would be a blessing when Guinness goes "Super".
It's all about the "Head" you know, not about the "Heart".
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2017, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I would be a blessing when Guinness goes "Super".
It's all about the "Head" you know, not about the "Heart".
Yes indeed Spitty the head on a pint of Guinness is very important, every time you take a swaller the head drops slightly and when you reach the end the glass you should have several white rings going all the way down to the bottom, you can actually see how many swallows you took!, just for the record, I was an eight ring man meself.
Above all never use a wet glass when pulling a pint, absolutely sacrilegious in the old days for a barman to do so, it completely ruins the pint.
As for Guinness Super, forget it, in the 1970’s they tried to reach a happy medium between the stout drinkers and the ale/lager drinkers and came up with “Guinness Light”, it really did taste like urine and was a total disaster, a whole new section added on to the famous brewery up in St. James Gate, millions wasted on the advertising campaign too, the slogan was “They said it couldn’t be done” How right they were, they should have listened to “them”… it couldn’t.
Oh course that was in bygone days when barmen we more respected than politicians and priests, get on the wrong side of a barman at your peril, he had the power to put you out of action for a week if you crossed him, the old “depth charger”, a concoction of stale leftover beer from the night before could be prepared to look like the perfect pint, but once it goes down you that was it, you’d be running to the jacks for a week, and if you complained you’d be told “well nobody else complained about the pints” best to be nice to your barmen back then.
I omit saying barmaid because there were no barmaids, except in family owned houses, the union didn’t allow them until the 1980’s or thereabouts.
Having said all that, those days are gone and any eejit is allowed pull you a pint today so I limit my intake to one or two at a sitting.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote Gunbud.
"but seriously folks as the comics often chorus - I was watchin a doco the other night about a famous aussie photographer who was brought up in the wild and ruggered top end - hang on hang on I'm getting to the point or was that pint?

he had another rookie photographer with him and at one point as they were climbing mountains and watching waterfalls the senior said " today I don't want you to take any photos just stop and look at the scenes - watch them change - watch the colors - see the changing nature and then we'll come back tomorrow and do some camera work " End quote.

Well Gummy a nature lover neath that rough exterior, sentimental old git after all ain’t yeh.

That’s one of the things I like about Agatha Christies writing, she doesn’t ramble off in paragraph after paragraph describing flowers, trees, buildings, romantic scenes, especially romantic scenes, but then she was no oil painting herself, could lack experience in that department. She always stuck with the story because she knew that’s what her readers wanted.
Wasn’t that very clever of her in her book “The Murder of Roger Ackroyd”? she broke all the rules of detective writing in that one, the narrator of the story was the murderer all the time (sorry if you hadn’t read it)
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 02:24 AM

oh well was a sure conversation stopper if ever I heard one! who the feck is agatha christie - didn't she murder people in the old days by poisoning - should have took some hereself if she choose a name like Ackroyd to write about - wasn't he in 'open all hrs'??

goodnight!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

20-09-2017, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
oh well was a sure conversation stopper if ever I heard one! who the feck is agatha christie - didn't she murder people in the old days by poisoning - should have took some hereself if she choose a name like Ackroyd to write about - wasn't he in 'open all hrs'??

goodnight!

Nah, your thinking of Dan Aykroyd!
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 02:13 PM

Nononono,Spitty!

It was Miss Scarlet,in the library,with the candlestick!

[don't,gumbud.....just,don't;m'kay]
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

20-09-2017, 05:45 PM

I just thought I’d throw that Agatha Christie bit in as I’m a great admirer of hers, her Mother didn’t want her to learn how to read too early in life for some reason, so she taught herself how to read and write at the age of five, you have to be very clever to do that, and she was.

“She wore a deep blue knee length dress, backless and low cut at the front, it displayed her lily white skin in all it’s smoothness. Light blue suede half boots complimented the dress and showed just the right amount of her beautiful well shaped legs, her platinum blond hair was long, silky and shoulder length…” and on and on they go, that’s the kind of crap that can clog up a good yarn, it would be more suited in The Tattler reporting on ladies day at Royal Ascot, and not in a murder mystery story.
The Queen of crime, although no shakespeare at literature, spares us all that, she writes without the frills, she will give you the basics and that’s all you need, your own imagination supplies the rest, no point in reading fiction if you haven’t got imagination is there? I rest my case m’lord.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 08:24 PM

It wasn't just herself that had the knowledge,Jem-her brother Tony knows the way to Amarillo!

...and the route he knows involves some well dodgy Avenues & Alleyways!

Page 305 of 1676 « First < 205 255 295 303 304 305 306 307 315 355 405 805 1305 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top