Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2016, 07:58 PM

Re: Electrical socket plates

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I am both confident, and competent. After all, I CAN fly a light aircraft! After that, anything else should be a doddle.

And I don't know where I gave the impression I wasn't confident.
So why ask the question? I can drive a heavy locomotive.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2016, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It will help if when you buy the new sockets, you can get some with the terminals in the same place as it will help re-wiring. Electricians are known for not leaving any 'play' on cables to save a few pence.
Not all if you please. I was taught to leave slack on all cables just in case they burned off and needed to be reconnected to new sockets, switches etc. I in turn, taught my apprentices to do the same.

Something to look out for when replacing a socket as LD says is to make sure of the live and neutral terminals. Double-pole sockets in particular (switch on sockets turns off live and neutral)
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2016, 08:53 PM

I have a city and guilds certificate that says I am a licensed radio amateur.
In the forces, I was at times involved in bomb disposal.
For more excitement and daring, leave the power on but don't cut the red or brown wire without insulated cutters.
I jest of course, about leaving the juice on.
I have confidence in you Jazzi.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2016, 10:36 PM

Thank you emjay!
Aafak
The Black Country
Aafak is male 

24-04-2016, 09:51 AM

First you have not posted if they are flush or surface switch sockets. I will assume they are flush.

Not sure why they would have turned grey in colour, however that suggests they may be old. Depending how old makes a difference as the screws could be imperial and not metric, so use the old fixing chrome screws. Also note some older swicth sockets had four front screws and new ones normally have two, one each side. Hence if side fixings are used for the first time you could bugger them up with incorrect thread screws or poor threads.
If older the wiring may be supple 7/029 and the job quite easy. Modern 2.5 is not forgiving and connections really poor unless you know what you are doing.
Depending on age the earth wires should have green sleeving, if it does not be careful that it does not touch a live or neutral connection when you push the socket back. More important when you push it back make sure that no cables will be hit behind by the fixing screws. If recent another earth wire is fitted to earth the metal box via the socket. Simple part just put the cables back in the same places as they were removed from as marked. L-N-E
All easy depending what idiot put them on in the first place and how many cables they tried to cram in the back and bodge.
All stuff any man should know.
Advice, get a boyfriend, working class as some like to call them, they understand what they are doing.
Sockets in France, they are another thing. Good Luck, with the boyfriend.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2016, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Not all if you please. I was taught to leave slack on all cables just in case they burned off and needed to be reconnected to new sockets, switches etc. I in turn, taught my apprentices to do the same.

Something to look out for when replacing a socket as LD says is to make sure of the live and neutral terminals. Double-pole sockets in particular (switch on sockets turns off live and neutral)
Apologies Judd. Glad to hear it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2016, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Aafak ->
Advice, get a boyfriend, working class as some like to call them, they understand what they are doing.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2016, 10:05 AM

Im the same Judd, just good practice and a sign of a decent apprenticeship. Sadly there were government run Skill centers that supposedly turned out tradesmen in a few months........ they didnt. You could spot them a mile off, few survived on decent sites.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2016, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
If you are asking the question, you need to get an electrician to do it, I'm afraid.
Not exactly correct. Under IEE (institute of electrical engineers) rules you are correct.

However under heath and safety rules providing you have right tools and knowledge you can do your own electrical work, but should be inspected by a qualified electrician afterwards.

Me? I did the 5 year apprenticeship in electrical and mechanical engineering many years ago.

Try wiring a telephone switchboard with what could be up to a hundred wires in each cable which is what I did for over 20 years

Little tip
if you want to test your own sockets this little gadget is
for you

link

http://www.tester.co.uk/martindale-c...FYpAGwodrIgGjA
Aafak
The Black Country
Aafak is male 

24-04-2016, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It will help if when you buy the new sockets, you can get some with the terminals in the same place as it will help re-wiring. Electricians are known for not leaving any 'play' on cables to save a few pence.
Not so, the reason for leaving cables long behind sockets is obvious. A short cable like a matchstick and 2.5mm cable is like a matchstick will not bend and needs excessive force to push back hence straining connections . A longer length of cable is more supple and can be coiled in a gentle manner.
Don't believe me, then place a matchstick between the palms of each hand and try to bend it .

Then it is very stupid in my opinion telling any untrained person that the can change a switch-socket , unless a person has seen the socket and the possible wiring problems behind it such as overcrowding etc and the other issues I have mentioned of non compatible imperial/ metric and damaged threads.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top