Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 03:30 PM

Re: New Boiler

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Having a new Boiler fitted today (hence being on here) I personally fitted the old one twenty years ago
You fitted your own gas boiler?
Were you Corgi registered?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 03:46 PM

I worked in the Gas appliance industry, but am a bit of a perfectionist. I took the old system out (Microbore pipe fed), and buried 15mm pipe into the walls (no visible pipework), after fitting the boiler in place, I got one of our (then) Corgi Registered Engineers to commission it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I worked in the Gas appliance industry, but am a bit of a perfectionist. I took the old system out (Microbore pipe fed), and buried 15mm pipe into the walls (no visible pipework), after fitting the boiler in place, I got one of our (then) Corgi Registered Engineers to commission it.
Good for you.

Our (at least) 14-year old Worcester-Bosch combi-boiler is becoming increasingly unreliable. Over the last week it has had three or four incidences of ignition lockout which, of course, I can re-set quite easily although on cold mornings (including this morning) when we wake to find no heating, I have to go outdoors to the garage to re-set it.

We have a service and maintenance contract and the engineer has been out many times to get the thing working again. Can't complain about that, though, as over the years we've had new diverter, fan, seals, remote radio thermostat control, etc - almost a new boiler!

Nevertheless, I think it might be time to go for a new boiler, which is what attracted me to your thread. We'd probably go for a bigger one - 38Cdi compared to our present 28Cdi - for a larger flow of hot water. The 38Cdi can be bought for about £1,600, but I have no idea of the fitting costs. Being a condensing boiler, there will also be the need for an external drain and there's nothing close by in which to run it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Good for you.

Our (at least) 14-year old Worcester-Bosch combi-boiler is becoming increasingly unreliable. Over the last week it has had three or four incidences of ignition lockout which, of course, I can re-set quite easily although on cold mornings (including this morning) when we wake to find no heating, I have to go outdoors to the garage to re-set it.

We have a service and maintenance contract and the engineer has been out many times to get the thing working again. Can't complain about that, though, as over the years we've had new diverter, fan, seals, remote radio thermostat control, etc - almost a new boiler!

Nevertheless, I think it might be time to go for a new boiler, which is what attracted me to your thread. We'd probably go for a bigger one - 38Cdi compared to our present 28Cdi - for a larger flow of hot water. The 38Cdi can be bought for about £1,600, but I have no idea of the fitting costs. Being a condensing boiler, there will also be the need for an external drain and there's nothing close by in which to run it.
If they can't get to a waste pipe they will probably dig a trench and fill with gravel. I have seen this done inside a garage before.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-03-2017, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
If they can't get to a waste pipe they will probably dig a trench and fill with gravel. I have seen this done inside a garage before.
Concrete floor!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 06:50 PM

Concrete floor!
Yes, they dug into the concrete floor by a metre.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 07:00 PM

You fitted your own gas boiler?
Were you Corgi registered?
That's legal.

In Law the Thinking is you can kill your self if you fit it wrongly and kill your self or your family no problem.

If you do it for a neighbour and it kills him you get done.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

08-03-2017, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
That's legal.

In Law the Thinking is you can kill your self if you fit it wrongly and kill your self or your family no problem.

If you do it for a neighbour and it kills him you get done.
What about if you sold the house? Would you then be liable to prosecution?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 07:04 PM

Hi

Yes, absolutely.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2017, 07:06 PM

Interesting point.

Don't think a case like that has ever gone to court.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top