Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 08:07 PM

Re: Tools

Thanks Nom, I will have to have another look at the bloomin' thing.

Realspeed, - I googled 'hand wood brace' and it is nothing like those.
Read the description I gave to JBR and you will see what I'm on about.

If the sandpaper doesn't work and I decide to try and plane it, I haven't got to take the gate off have I? I shall never get it back on again!

It was perfectly alright till the last couple of days rain, and it has swelled the wood I suppose. It might be alright when it dries out, do you think?
Just a bit worried about not being able to shut the gate properly at the moment though.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 08:07 PM

now remove as correct item Mups was asking about
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 08:11 PM

Aaah, you gem Realspeed, that's the one.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 08:13 PM

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ar...105+Hand+Drill

look here just one company that makes them may be more but Stanley is a good make been going for more years than i care to remember. Do check on the chuck size you want, that is the part the drill is clamped in, there may well be different sizes

useful tips further on in the video

Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
No JBR, the drill I have got is not like either of those.
It has not got a big curved middle like your second one, it is just straight with a wooden handle on one end, the bit that holds the drill on the other, and half way along in the middle there is a little wheel with cut out bits all round the edge. This wheel has a wooden handle attached which you turn and it operates the drill.

I can't explain it any better than that.
What we used to call an egg-beater because of the same action as a whisk.

ETA: I see Realspeed has beat me to it.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	1328807938_16.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	3011  
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

19-05-2017, 10:00 PM

That's a really useful video, Bazza.
I never know wood drills had that squigly bit on the end.

Now this is really sad . . . I have only ever had the one drill, so I make the same size hole in everything I want to put holes in!
It must be so blunt, would that be why I've broken the handle do you think?
Anyway, by chance today, when I was buying the plane, I saw some drills and got a couple. I've just had a look at them, and it's a bit of luck they are the proper ones for woodwork, so I am pleased about that.
One more question if I may though? Can I use these new wood drills to put holes in the bottom of plastic garden tubs or have I got to get a different type of drill?

Nope, just thought of another -

When I looked at the link you put on for buying, I don't understand the difference between 'Single Pinion', 'Hand Drill' and 'Hand Drill & Braces'? What the 'eck are braces and pinions for?
I'm getting really fed up now!

Sorry to ask such dumb questions. I'm not much good at DIY . . . you'd never guess though, would you.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

19-05-2017, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
What we used to call an egg-beater because of the same action as a whisk.

ETA: I see Realspeed has beat me to it.

Thanks anyway Judd.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 10:07 PM

I usually prefer a hand drill but I do have a brace and bit (car boot) and my late father's one somewhere unless it got woodworm

Never used a wheelbrace.

I do have an old B/D electric drill which weighs lots and I used it for all sorts of 'stuff' over the decades but a year or so ago I was persuaded to buy a cordless DRILL/DRIVER and it's REALLY good
The driver is often no good for me because I never have the strength to keep the 'driver' in the slots, so it's a manual screwdriver for me most of the time.

I still prefer to use a hand drill but there are so many jobs where the cordless one is superior.

It's not heavy like the B/D

The walls in my house are ODD! lol
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

19-05-2017, 10:39 PM

One more question if I may though? Can I use these new wood drills to put holes in the bottom of plastic garden tubs or have I got to get a different type of drill?

use existing drill bit will be ok but better a metal drill bit

there are 3 basic types of drills wood -metal and concrete . Just look on the packet will tell you which drill is for what say like in homebase or similar.

brace and bit
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

19-05-2017, 11:04 PM

Thanks again Bazza, will study that tomorrow now, brain not taking in anymore tonight.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top