Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 06:12 AM

Re: Bored with turkey?

The Australian one wasn't a bad representation except that it forgot the seafood, there wouldn't be an Aussie Christmas barbie without masses of seafood as well as steak, chops, sausages etc

Prawns for example go from about $20 a kilo to about $30 a kilo immediately before Christmas. Generally speaking fish are not so badly over priced at Christmas but I know I will be tucking into a few kilos of prawns.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 09:00 AM

I'm never bored with turkey, and often do a roast dinner any time during the year. I buy the little round joint from the freezer section, for £2.50, make up sausagemeat and stuffing, all the favourite roasties (potato, sweet potato, parsnips, kohl rabi), and other veg, with chilled yorkie.

I forgot about the delicious sandwiches!

Mum used to make the turkey soup with the carcass. Oh it was gorgeous!!

I think, as I'm sure the hotel won't do half as much a turkey meal as I would do, that I'll have a pre Christmas one maybe at the weekend. I am slowly introducing meat into my diet after my recent illness so hope to enjoy it. If pup lets me eat!!

(And will make turkey dinner sandwiches after. Oh yum!)
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I'm never bored with turkey, and often do a roast dinner any time during the year. I buy the little round joint from the freezer section, for £2.50, make up sausagemeat and stuffing, all the favourite roasties (potato, sweet potato, parsnips, kohl rabi), and other veg, with chilled yorkie.

I forgot about the delicious sandwiches!

Mum used to make the turkey soup with the carcass. Oh it was gorgeous!!

I think, as I'm sure the hotel won't do half as much a turkey meal as I would do, that I'll have a pre Christmas one maybe at the weekend. I am slowly introducing meat into my diet after my recent illness so hope to enjoy it. If pup lets me eat!!

(And will make turkey dinner sandwiches after. Oh yum!)
I tried that once, making the stock with the carcass the day before I was going to put together the actual soup. So once the stock was made and seasoned perfectly, I let it cool, then put it in the refrigerator overnight to finish it up the next day.

Well, the next day I got the pot of stock out, set it on the stove, took off the lid and was horrified to see that there was so much fat that came from the carcass of the turkey that the entire pot was solidified. Not just a thin layer on top, like there is when I make stock from chicken, no. I'm talking the entire contents of the pot was solid jelly.

Needless to say, I ended up making something else for supper.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top