Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2017, 09:18 PM

Some really good news

Many of us on here really like to take photos. Whether it be a quick snap on a basic camera, adventurous on a bridge, or upgraded to a DSLR. I have had many a conversation with Mr Oy and he has agreed to help with all things technical with camera settings, composition, exposure, Lightroom, Photoshop etc. This is your chance to ask questions to a pro photographer and others on here with experience of all things photographic.
I would like to thank Dave in advance for his time in helping set up this thread.
Over to you guys
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2017, 11:05 AM

Re: Some really good news

Thanks Gasman & Mr Oy.

A great idea. I must retrieve my camera which has been boxed in my loft for the past three years since moving. I seem to remember it's an Olympus PEN but I haven't seen it for a while so don't know which version.

I have always been interested in photography but have never really taken the time to learn what all the settings mean so this could be useful.

Thanks again.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2017, 12:24 PM

I have a question!
If I want to take a photo of something moving quickly what setting should I use and same for night shots?
I always get the iso thingys wrong.
I have a cheap Fuji bridge camera, no special lenses, meters etc. and very am thick so words of one syllable please.
Thanks in anticipation.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2017, 01:18 PM

I've planned to have a few days away early August. I would like to get a cheaper range digital camera that can also take videos but need a camera that takes an OTG cable so I can transfer to my Amazon fire tablet. Any suggestions?
Mister_Oy
NW UK
Mister_Oy is male  Mister_Oy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2017, 01:31 PM

Some interesting questions already. I'll get my teeth into them this evening
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2017, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I have a question!
If I want to take a photo of something moving quickly what setting should I use and same for night shots?
I have a cheap Fuji bridge camera, no special lenses, meters etc. and very am thick so words of one syllable please.
Thanks in anticipation.
Without jumping on anyones toes there are 2 ways of taking a photo of something moving quickly.

1= follow the subject " Panning" when the subject is in
focus and the background is blurred

2 = let the subject pass the lens and is blurred and the
background in focus

to have both in focus not knowing what the camera you have is you would need a fast shutter speed say around 1/8000 sec. but i doubt your camera will be fast enough.

So the only other answer is to be some distance from the subject and you might get away with it.

The example I give is, if you pass a finger across your face very close it is blurred, hold it at arms length and you can focus on it.

Again sorry to the experts above for jumping in but thought it might help
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2017, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
I've planned to have a few days away early August. I would like to get a cheaper range digital camera that can also take videos but need a camera that takes an OTG cable so I can transfer to my Amazon fire tablet. Any suggestions?

First of all will the tablet accept digital photos and how will it do so?

what price range were you thinking of?
Don't forget to add a memory card to the camera price which will be extra
this link may help decide

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/

compact cameras are about the cheapest

my neighbour is thinking of getting a camcorder that takes pictures as he is now a granddad by 3 days

So for him I suggested this, does stills and video, has good reviews

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras...19364-pdt.html
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

17-07-2017, 02:35 PM

over to Mister_Oy and Gasman to tell me to butt out as they know a lot more than me.

My tips I give and that is keep copies of photos on a DVD/CD or extrnl hard drive away from a computer. If doing ANY editing always do it on a copy not the original.

DO NOT RELY ON SAVING ON CLOUD OR ANY PICTURE ON LINE STORAGE SITE, TAKE PHOTOBUCKET I LOST ALL MY PHOTOS ON DUE TO THE CHANGES MADE BY THEM,BUT HAVE THEM STORED ELSEWHERE
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2017, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
over to Mister_Oy and Gasman to tell me to butt out as they know a lot more than me.

My tips I give and that is keep copies of photos on a DVD/CD or extrnl hard drive away from a computer. If doing ANY editing always do it on a copy not the original.

DO NOT RELY ON SAVING ON CLOUD OR ANY PICTURE ON LINE STORAGE SITE, TAKE PHOTOBUCKET I LOST ALL MY PHOTOS ON DUE TO THE CHANGES MADE BY THEM,BUT HAVE THEM STORED ELSEWHERE
Good tip there Realspeed
As for butting in, no your not. This thread is open for anyone with the knowledge to answer and I know bits and pieces, not as much as others on here. Mr Oy is the pro and has agreed to answer techy questions.
Mister_Oy
NW UK
Mister_Oy is male  Mister_Oy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2017, 06:09 PM

Some good info from realspeed up there ^^^

A few bits from me...

I have a question!
If I want to take a photo of something moving quickly what setting should I use
A lot depends what it is and how quickly is quickly. The basic is that you need a shutter speed fast enough to freeze the movement relative to your camera. It also depends on the angle your subject is moving at relative to your camera e.g. you'll need a faster shutter speed for a subject moving across the frame compared to towards you. But let's keep it in simple terms.

If your camera is static - the required shutter speed will be faster. (See the advice on "panning" above.)

As a basic guide here are some example shutter speeds guidelines...

Person walking - 1/125 to 1/250"
Person running - 1/250 to 1/500"
Fast moving car - 1/2000" or faster

So - how do you actually set that shutter speed on your Fuji bridge camera? The easiest way is to stick it in "S" mode - Shutter priority. You will then be able to dial in the desired shutter speed - and the camera will handle the exposure by adjusting the aperture accordingly. If the aperture will not go wide enough (small F number) to give the correct exposure then knock the ISO value up a notch (e.g. from 200-400).

Or you could just whap it in Sport mode and cross your fingers

and same for night shots?
Thanks in anticipation.
Ok night shots. Dark / very low light. This means slow shutter speeds - the opposite of the movement shots above.

On a bridge camera you need to keep the ISO value low to prevent too much noise/grain. And you'll probably be shooting a scene that requires a large depth of field so a small aperture is needed (Large F number.) This means "A" mode - Aperture priority.

For night scenes using a bridge camera I'd recommend F/5.6 to F/8 - the sensor is very small so this will give plenty of depth of field. This will also almost certainly result in a shutter speed too slow to hand hold without introducing a lot of camera shake - so you'll need a tripod. Use the camera's self-timer to stop movement caused by pressing to shutter release button and moving the camera.

Or you could just whap it in Night mode and cross your fingers

Hope that helps!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top