Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 03:52 PM

What does Christmas mean to you?

When Christmas approaches, what is it you look forward to the most?
Is it the religious aspect, time with family, getting presents, what is it you enjoy about it all?

For me it's like waiting for a summer holiday. You work all year with hardly any time to relax and it's just nice to be able to leave work for a week or so, chill out and wind down without having to be somewhere.

Also, it's Christmas Day itslef when the family come around, especially the grandkids and watching them enjoy opening presents. A nice dinner and a beer afterwards, followed by a walk to get some fresh air.

What I don't like too much is the overly commercial part of it. I'm not interested in receiving presents that much either as long as I get a book to bury myself in.

The TV listings don't interest me either; it's geared toward tacky entertainment these days. I'll record any decent films but that's about it.

Lastly, the religious part of it, which of course is why we have Christmas - doesn't bother me one way or the other. I have no views on religion.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 04:28 PM

Re: What does Christmas mean to you?

What does Christmas mean to you?
''What can't be cured must be endured ''
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 04:42 PM

At risk of sounding like Scrooge ... I think the same Meg.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 04:43 PM

Bah humbug....
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 04:46 PM

don't mean a lot to me,but I go along with it,tree up,and turkey dinner,,,,its only once a year
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 05:12 PM

Getting as many of the family together as we can, spending time together, the church services, the nice lunch and tea, home made presents that mean so much. If someone spends time making something to me that's really special. Christmas for us is not marked by conspicuous spending it all has to be made by ourselves.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 05:17 PM

Well in our House, its now only the two of us and the Cat, so we don't really celebrate, I put up the Tree and some Ornaments. The TV is crap, all repeats. I don't mind the Carol singing, I will join in and sound like the Cats choir. We will have a Turkey and all the trimmings.

It was different when the parents were alive and we used to play board games and have a bit of a dance around and sing song, but I think Christmas now is just for the Children, they enjoy it most.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 05:47 PM

Whilst I am pleased all the family get together and I am pleased to have them, to be honest I am not sorry when it is all over. Somehow Christmas is too artificial for me these days and all the excess annoys me. The build up to Christmas seems to go on for far too long and I get maudlin and wonder how those people who see all the expensive stuff in the shops feel when they cannot have what others have. Even worse if you have nobody at Christmas. It must be awful.
Suppose Bah Humbug from me as well.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 05:48 PM

Reminds me of getting nearly beaten and kicked to death by my father during one of his Christmas binges....also the cigars he smoked - I hated the smell.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 05:55 PM

There can only be one answer.... The true meaning of Christmas is love.

John 3:16-17 says, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him."

The true meaning of Christmas is the celebration of this incredible act of love.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top