Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 03:47 PM

Re: What does Christmas mean to you?

I've written this Winter off and am looking forward to the longer days in February.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 04:48 PM

To those that dislike Christmas and New Year.....be thankful you don't live in Spain and other countries with similar celebrations....their's last so much longer.
Heatherbelle
Canada
Heatherbelle is female  Heatherbelle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 05:02 PM

Christmas is another holiday that is to be tolerated. The religious aspect of Christmas has long been lost even though Christianity originally took the holiday of Saturnalia, which was a week long period of lawlessness celebrated between December 17-25 and attempted to turn things around by suggesting this was the time of the birth of Jesus. The festival began when Roman authorities chose “an enemy of the Roman people” to represent the “Lord of Misrule.” Each Roman community selected a victim whom they forced to indulge in food and other physical pleasures throughout the week. At the festival’s conclusion, December 25th, Roman authorities believed they were destroying the forces of darkness by brutally murdering this innocent man or woman.
It has turned into a business holiday with cries of “gimme, gimme, gimme” resounding everywhere. I refuse to be guilt tripped into buying something that someone does not need and I don’t need anyone to remind me that xmas is a time of giving because I give all year round. I wait eagerly for Dec. 26 when it is all over.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Roll on some sunshine and warmth
That's Christmas for you - 39°C today, the slight chance of rain predicted for this afternoon is also predicted to evaporate before it reaches the ground because of the mass of warm air under the cloud.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashampoo_Snap_2017.12.14_10h19m24s_001_.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	4729  
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
What means the most to me is that this year I will be able to spend the day and have a meal with my son and daughter, their partners and my ex wife. Family together. This will be the third time this has happened in 16 years since my divorce. Apart from not being alone I will be warm, and well fed and have alcohol pushed on me by my son trying to get me tipsy and all the family's dogs and cats will be there. I will be able to have conversations, laugh and hear all their news. I will be staying the night so I can have a drink so will wake up without frozen body parts for a change, and not having to wear a bobble hat, multiple layers of clothes and gloves to sleep in.. Looking forward to it.
That's nice MC. I'm sure you will enjoy it.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 04:04 PM

For Me Christmas has changed a bit over the past few years..I see My Family a few days before (usually Christmas Eve) to exchange gifts..but I finally put My foot down to be allowed to spend Christmas day on My own doing My own thing,,...I receive phonecalls from My Daughters/Son & G/Ks first thing in the morning..then the rest of the day I do as I please..now My Children can spend the day in Their own homes too with Their Families without being concerned about Mum/Granny...win win...and Everyone's happy..cheers
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 04:28 PM

My childhood Christmas's were extremely quiet, just my Gran and myself and the radio. I loved getting new books to read and she had always knitted me a jumper/cardigan from wool from jumble sale items unravelled. So they would always be stripey.

When my children were small it was just the four of us no other family, and we made it as fun as possible. I made everything, cake, pudding, pies etc etc. We alway played board games and cards, no TV. Lovely times.

Since the children have grown and gone, Christmas means nothing to me.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 06:47 PM

Just a memory from my childhood times , 9 of us , no presants after the age of 12 as no money to spare , we'd had a few small bits when younger but no more than say 4 small bits and bobs, but although a bit miffed we knew why . Mum would cook a chicken and loads of roasties and veg dad had grown , always a home made Christmas pud and tinned custard . Home made mince pies and Victoria sponge with butter icing . We had a log fire in one room only and dad would tell us ghost stories as it got dark . We kids made the most of it , mum might have a minuture bottle of gin . We were a large family , 5 boys and two girls and mum and dad . We never knew rich people and everyone seemed to have similar life's . I can't remember having a tree but if we did one of the boys would have been out and cut one down .

My one grouch with Christmas now is my daughter buys far too many presants for her two girls , they have so many they are made to have breaks in between opening as they are overwhelmed and don't spend time looking at what they have received . I think it's too much but I don't say a word as in the past I've been told it's nothing to what their friends get .

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top