Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 12:08 AM

Re: Why Do Some Foods You Buy. Taste Of Fish?

Ooer, how strange.
Wonder if it would be worth writing to Asda H.Q. and enquiring?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Ooer, how strange.
Wonder if it would be worth writing to Asda H.Q. and enquiring?
Mups, Have you ever eaten a fishy tasting egg? It must be what they are fed on?!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Mups, Have you ever eaten a fishy tasting egg? It must be what they are fed on?!

No, can't say I have.

I kept a lot of poultry for about 40 odd years, but I can't keep them here really, not enough space for them to roam.
So now I have to buy shop eggs, and shop milk, but can't honestly say I have noticed anything fishy.

I can't see why they would add fish meal to their feed?

All I can suggest is, with shop eggs, does it say the name of the supplier on the box label? If so, I would google their farm if possible, and write and tell them.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 12:38 AM

No, can't say I have.

I kept a lot of poultry for about 40 odd years, but I can't keep them here really, not enough space for them to roam.
So now I have to buy shop eggs, and shop milk, but can't honestly say I have noticed anything fishy.

I can't see why they would add fish meal to their feed?

All I can suggest is, with shop eggs, does it say the name of the supplier on the box label? If so, I would google their farm if possible, and write and tell them.
I have my own hens now so l don’t have fishy eggs! It was when l used to buy shop eggs that l sometimes noticed the fishy taste!!

Ha Ha, it all sounds very fishy!!
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 12:58 AM

Missy, It’s not available in my local fish and chip shop. I have never, ever heard anyone say, ‘ Huss and chips, Please’!!

No, I can't buy it here either

When I lived in London every chippy I ever went to sold it, rock salmon , it really is tasty, tastes a bit like salmon, hence the name I guess. Just one large bone in it,easy to pull out and no little bones to choke on
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

14-01-2018, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
No, I can't buy it here either

When I lived in London every chippy I ever went to sold it, rock salmon , it really is tasty, tastes a bit like salmon, hence the name I guess. Just one large bone in it,easy to pull out and no little bones to choke on

Ooh Missy, I remember 'Rock' as we used to call in when I was young and lived in London. Lovely tasty bit of fish.
My local chippy here had it on the menu a while back and I had some, but it didn't taste anything like I remembered.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 02:07 AM

Ooh Missy, I remember 'Rock' as we used to call in when I was young and lived in London. Lovely tasty bit of fish.
My local chippy here had it on the menu a while back and I had some, but it didn't taste anything like I remembered.
I'm trying to convince some friends who go sea fishing to actually keep me one or three. They catch loads and either chuck em back or use them for bait. Here cod is king, getting haddock even is hard. Whiting is pretty popular as well but I like rock
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 11:35 AM

Longy, Would your wife react the same if she tasted fish in a tomato?
It does make you think, what vegetables are grown in and if it should be stated on the packaging for Vegetarians or Vegans?
I suppose if it tasted odd she might not eat it but it's more about what's in it rather than the taste. For instance, she will eat fake fish fingers (Fishless Fingers) which taste a bit like fish but there's no fish in them.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 11:43 AM

Mups, All I take is one blood pressure tablet each morning and a vitamin D tablet.

You google, ‘tomatoes tasting of fish’ and it seems lots of people are saying the same!
I usually buy loose tomatoes but these fishy ones were six in a pack from Asda.
I think the growers must use fish fertiliser?
You might be on to something there Art. I used to live a few miles away from a big farm which had shops, restaurants, a garden centre and regularly held public events like boot sales.

One boot sale we went to was so busy that we had to park in a different area and I saw a huge mountain of shell fish shells which I assume were to be used as some sort of mulch. This used to be delivered every year and you could smell it from miles away.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 01:36 PM

Caricature, l sometimes wonder if Cod in fish and chip shops is substituted with similar white fish? But.... they would have to state the fish they’re selling, wouldn’t they?
I never ask for fish and chips in a fish and chip shop as they could give me any old fish. I always, ask for Cod or Haddock.
That’s my theory and l’m sticking to it!!
Cod or haddock are the two types of fish typically used for fish & chips anyway, aren't they? Or do they sometimes sneak in cheap whiting or something?

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top