Join for free
effingpot
Hampshire, UK
effingpot is male  effingpot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 11:40 PM

Prep ahead dessert for ten!

I'm feeding 10 people next Saturday. Starter choices of Satay and Pate all sorted, Jambalaya and Tagine & couscous main course choices all ready, but I'm useless at desserts. As it's just me and my sous chef daughter I want to do a dessert I can make ahead and just serve up from the fridge or whatever.

Any suggestions for an easy but yummy dessert choice?
Thanks
Mike
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2018, 11:58 PM

Re: Prep ahead dessert for ten!

Hi Mike this chocolate torte can be made the day before, it is very rich so only a small slice is needed.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...hocolate-torte

You can serve it with ice cream or softly whipped fresh cream with a little rum and sugar added.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2018, 12:01 AM

You could also poach some pears , I like to do them in a ginger syrup and serve with cream or ice cream.
effingpot
Hampshire, UK
effingpot is male  effingpot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2018, 12:26 AM

Thanks you two. Actually I'm not a huge choc fan (though my guests may be!). Both hot and cold pears have been in my mind, so could feature - don't think I've done much with pears before.

The key thing is I can make it ahead as there is quite a lot to do hosting 9 other folks and cooking all courses on my tod!

I'll have a think about both your suggestions. Ideally I'd like to offer a choice of two starters, mains and desserts! Mad I know but hey ho!
Cheers
Mike
effingpot
Hampshire, UK

28-01-2018, 12:27 AM

Sorry .... 'you two' is both Meg Oops!
Haha - sorry about that
effingpot
Hampshire, UK

28-01-2018, 01:25 AM

Meg, that choc tort thing looks pretty good actually. Might do that and individual tiramisus for dessert. wish me luck
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2018, 01:26 AM

Effingpot,

When I was a hostess for large dinners, I always served lucious ice cream pies. They are so easy to make and you can have them in the freezer a couple days ahead of time.

You can serve them with whipped cream on top or meringue. If you do the meringue, you have to put them in the oven (hot) for only a few minutes to brown the top, but not melt the ice cream, keeping the meringue right close to the crust around the edges, but I don't think you would want to bother with the meringue in the oven at the last minute as that would take time.

The whipped cream has to be already whipped and ready to top as you serve which is easy enough.

There are lots of great recipes on the net.
I used to just do an easy one, but we didn't have access to all these recipes back then....no internet.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top