Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 11:34 AM

Re: Blame Game on Baby Boomers.

I also think it had a lot to do with class as well

All well and good saying we benefitted from council house sell off and privatisation of the utilities, but if you didn't have the money, you weren't in the running

I was born 64, some say Im a boomer. Cant see it myself, high mortgage rates, high unemployment , pension age increased, no final salary pension etc etc etc

Im no way wealthier then my mum and step dad were at my age. They did very well Blimey the police pension my mum still claims as a widow has been paid longer then step dad was ever a police officer

Whatever I have ( which isn't a lot ) me and Mr Missy have grafted for and are still grafting for now
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
I also think it had a lot to do with class as well

All well and good saying we benefitted from council house sell off and privatisation of the utilities, but if you didn't have the money, you weren't in the running

I was born 64, some say Im a boomer. Cant see it myself, high mortgage rates, high unemployment , pension age increased, no final salary pension etc etc etc

Im no way wealthier then my mum and step dad were at my age. They did very well Blimey the police pension my mum still claims as a widow has been paid longer then step dad was ever a police officer

Whatever I have ( which isn't a lot ) me and Mr Missy have grafted for and are still grafting for now
I agree we managed to hit each bad financial time head on, huge interest rates on mortgages, pension age increased, no interest on savings, council houses had been sold off before we got one, rents went up beyond our earning capacity.

My parents and grandparents both did better by the time they hit 60 than we will.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 11:53 AM

I was born " not found under a tree" in 1945. I did ask my father what he did during the war and he said his greatest achievement was with my mother, which is why I am here now

Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
None of us asked to be born, I just think that there were more births at that time because we were building a society with food, somewhere to live and lets not forget that many wives were separated from their husbands through the war...so were catching up on a bit of love.
When we were born, people were happy to to stop hearing bombs and be sure their families were safe.....isn't that what many soldiers gave their lives to achieve?

I sometimes wonder if the war gave us better values, than we have now, like lack of greed & jealousy and where people cared about each other!
The only thing they can blame the Boomers for is giving their children a better life....which has made many of the children unable to understand that you only get out of life what you put into it!

He was a lying scumbag who was attempting to defend the lying, thieving scumbags who did have their fingers in Al Fayed's pocket - that makes him equally guilty!!!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
He was a lying scumbag who was attempting to defend the lying, thieving scumbags who did have their fingers in Al Fayed's pocket - that makes him equally guilty!!!
And what connection has that to my post that you quoted?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Me too Annie, we seemed to miss the milk and honey somewhat always struggled but I do think present generation are having it harder than we did. If we had little when we were young that was normal, if they have little now they are looking at so many people with so much more than them.
Definitely. We had the hangover from the party of the boom years but millennials don't even have any scraps of leftovers. Plus they are constantly being criticized. Yet all I know are sensible and hardworking.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Definitely. We had the hangover from the party of the boom years but millennials don't even have any scraps of leftovers. Plus they are constantly being criticized. Yet all I know are sensible and hardworking.
Completely agree the ones I know are doing their very best against the odds. All this snowflake stuff is very unfair too they are no more likely to complain than anyone else.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 02:22 PM

(Baby Boomer - born between 1946 - 1964)
(Millennials - born between 1982 - 2000)

I know I shouldn't feel this way as a Boomer, although I don't like all the abuse hurled unfairly at us, I do understand the reason for the resentment shown towards us by Millennials.

They rightly or wrongly believe that Boomers "had it so easy" in terms of job security and cheap housing, compared with their complaints that their prospects nowadays of never being able to afford to buy a house, never afford to have children, and, if fortunate enough to find work, never be able to afford to retire. pretty grim when you hear it, I, along with most older people, have an overwhelming sympathy for them on this score.

But, I draw the line when they go on to accuse and blame Boomers for everything that is wrong today . Boomers get blamed for encouraging them to go to University and into lifelong debt, accused of convincing them that once they had a degree, the world would be their oyster, blaming their own selfish parents for not cushioning them with their Boomer earned cash to enable them to live the life they themselves expect. Then they go on to blame Boomers for continuing to work and keeping them out of the workforce, or for retiring on Gold Pensions and purchasing second homes to turn into Buy To Let, thereby responsible for the current housing shortage and house price rises which have put the dream of owning their own little home, unaffordable. They are also very keen to put forward their argument of just how cheap the homes we Boomers bought in the 60's were, how easy it was to obtain a job, how easy it was to be guaranteed a Pension.

Well, for those that think this way, here are my thoughts..

Yes, life was much easier back then.I and other Boomers would be the first to admit that.*

Yes, guilty of encouraging our children's talents. something most of us of our age never aspired to.

Out of my school of 170, only 5 brainy pupils went on to University, I recall that all of those 5 were excellent with maths and science, and went on to really good careers. That was life, the rest of us left school at 15 and 16 as expected, and straight into work -an apprenticeship, factory or shop, and for those of us lucky enough, office work. We were on crappy wages compared with salaries today, but out of the average £890 p.a. wage in the 60's, we gave our parents housekeeping money, a portion was paid into a private pension, and most of the rest was put away to save for the deposit for a house. Those of us who did not have the opportunity to go on to University did without a lot in order to attain what we wanted. So yes, it is only natural for the Millennials to want the same, but why blame us? The average cost of a house in the 60's was about £3,620, about 4 times the average wage of £890. AND we went through a period where we were paying 15% interest on our mortgages, which almost brought many to their knees.
Now the average price of a house in London is £475,000, 19 times the average wage of £24,600. how is that our fault?

So in short, yes, Baby Boomers made hay while the sun shone, but doesn't blaming us because they want the same as we had, make Millennials the exact same Demigods that they are making us out to be. I think every generation is fundamentally selfish and wants the same out of life, but I refuse to ever feel guilty for being born in the good times.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
And what connection has that to my post that you quoted?

Sorry Twink, I was responding to our resident 'nasty party' member Rainmaker and my comment was intended as a response to his comments.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Sorry Twink, I was responding to our resident 'nasty party' member Rainmaker and my comment was intended as a response to his comments.
What a disingenuous fool you are Joe.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top