Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2012, 09:10 PM

Re: Home Insulation

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
Forgot about this till I reread it Mollie. We havent got a loft entry in the hall and would have to get one done, that also slipt my memory( most things do thesedays). These houses are great but for the heat loss in winter and now Gas is too dear to waste but you also have to remember they are wooden, and have to be fire conscious at all times, but I suppose it would be cheaper than cremation!
Indeed it would, Annie.

Well, following my note regarding cavity wall insulation last night, the person rang me this evening to make an appointment so he can come and drill my wall (?) so that he can make notes, and for me to read and sign some paperwork, so he hadn't forgotten about it. He's coming Thursday noon, so things are looking good for now.
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2012, 11:10 PM

Mollie be careful, please read this.

http://www.energychoices.co.uk/partn...rappage-scheme.
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2012, 09:03 PM

We had Cavity wall insulation and the loft insulation done with a grant a couple of year ago and it has made our home really cosy sometimes a bit too much upstairs we did n't have the boiler done under the scheme as we didn't want one that heats the water as you use it we prefer a tank and this was the only option but we are really pleased with the efficiency of all of this on our bills...
Sue
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2012, 11:16 PM

Thanks for that, Suey. As I said, this is totally free, and free is most acceptable in this day and age for most of us.

When I see the Surveyor tomorrow I'll also ask him about the central heating boiler.

As a family, we moved into this house in 1966 and there was no central heating - well, there were concertina radiators and a back boiler which were never used. I got married in 1972 and moved away then came back in 1983 and we bought the house because mum was here on her own by then, so it was re-wired and we had central heating put in, so the boiler is ancient.

Touch wood it's never once broken down in almost 30 years, but it's time it was replaced.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

24-07-2012, 12:26 AM

Update on this.

The Surveyor came again, later than expected, and drilled a hole in my brickwork to confirm that I didn't already have cavity wall insulation, so I'm booked in for that as well.

However, he had to go round to my back "garden" which I'd warned him was akin to the Amazon rain forest. He told me that the "tree" I had at the back would have to come down. The "tree" is actually a weed to my knowledge as nothing was ever planted there, and it's approximately 8ft high by 6ft wide.

He asked me if I knew of anybody that would cut it down for me and I said I'd ring round to find somebody to pay to chop the beanstalk down as it really did need to come down. Anyway, a few minutes later the Surveyor said that he'd come and cut it down for me.

Now I don't know about you folks, but that was the kindest thing anybody has ever offered to do for me in years, and he said he'd come either a Saturday or Sunday afternoon with a gardening tool to do the job for me. I was nearly in tears at the kindness of his offer.

So, now I've got loft and cavity wall insulation booked in and hopefully this winter, I'll be warm and snuggly.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2012, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Update on this.

The Surveyor came again, later than expected, and drilled a hole in my brickwork to confirm that I didn't already have cavity wall insulation, so I'm booked in for that as well.

However, he had to go round to my back "garden" which I'd warned him was akin to the Amazon rain forest. He told me that the "tree" I had at the back would have to come down. The "tree" is actually a weed to my knowledge as nothing was ever planted there, and it's approximately 8ft high by 6ft wide.

He asked me if I knew of anybody that would cut it down for me and I said I'd ring round to find somebody to pay to chop the beanstalk down as it really did need to come down. Anyway, a few minutes later the Surveyor said that he'd come and cut it down for me.

Now I don't know about you folks, but that was the kindest thing anybody has ever offered to do for me in years, and he said he'd come either a Saturday or Sunday afternoon with a gardening tool to do the job for me. I was nearly in tears at the kindness of his offer.

So, now I've got loft and cavity wall insulation booked in and hopefully this winter, I'll be warm and snuggly.
That's great Mollie it sounds like you have got everything organised.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2012, 12:06 PM

That's good news Mollie, make sure you have the kettle on when he arrives!
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2012, 03:08 PM

Plus a flower in your hair......just joking.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2012, 10:28 PM

I don't know of any weed that grows to that height or width. It could be that a seed has been dropped either by a bird or maybe an airborne seed and it is a tree.
I would ask the question. Why is it necessary to take it down, to have cavity wall insulation or loft insulation.
I would also wonder why a "surveyor" would offer to do the job
on a weekend and is he doing it for free. I may be cynical but better to question than be taken in.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2012, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
I would also wonder why a "surveyor" would offer to do the job
on a weekend and is he doing it for free. I may be cynical but better to questions than be taken in.
If they need to drill where the tree/weed/triffid is blocking the wall, it will have to be cut down, if they dont do the job they wont get paid.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top