Join for free
Page 7 of 17 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 05:32 PM

Re: Baath or BAHth

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
It's hilarious!!

Only northern folk pronounce bath as gaff surely?
How do you say path then?
It's path as in bath

My m-inlaw used to say 'absolutely ghastly' in a very funny way...I can't replicate it in type
Garridge paff.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 05:51 PM

JBR. Please tell me this then!

How is it that beautiful pristine Lilies appear out of a muddy pond full of dirty water.?
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->

How is it that beautiful pristine Lilies appear out of a muddy pond full of dirty water.?
Quite so and I would ask the question
"How do BROWN cows having eaten GREEN grass produce WHITE milk?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->

They don't.
My pond is perfectly clear, thanks to the constant attention I give it.

Anyway, back on topic.

One thing that the 'really well-spoken' say is the way they pronounce the 'a' as in 'cat'.

We northerners pronounce it with 'a' as in German words - eg, 'acht'. Phonically, a very short 'a:' sound.

Posh people pronounce it with a slight 'e' leaning - 'æ' (with the back of the tongue raised slightly) - but not the 'ee' sound you hear in 'encyclopaedia'.

An interesting explanation on this site:
http://www.englishlanguageclub.co.uk/a-sound/
although they don't include the northern 'a' sound, for some reason!

In all seriousness, although we poke fun at each other because some people speak differently to us, I find the fact that we have so many different accents throughout the country as fascinating and adds character. I wonder whether other countries have such a wide variety of accents.

And, above all, we Yorkies are quite happy to forgive those who cannot manage to speak in the correct way!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 06:43 PM

We had a Northern teacher at school who would tell us to 'Luke at the Buke'

What's that all about? We only had books, no bukes.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 06:44 PM

Cat is always pronounced as it is spelt as posh people/southerners can't get around that one can they?
They would love to pronounce cat as 'cart', but they would just look uncommonly stupid. I.e. If they saw a cat and said to one of their snooty friends "Look, Archibald Ponsonby-Fruitmarket", "There's a cart! Isn't it simply marvellous?!", their friend would look at him as if he's darft. "No, it's a small, furry animal, Archiebald - not an apple cart" "You silly old bounder, you!"
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Cat is always pronounced as it is spelt as posh people/southerners can't get around that one can they?
They would love to pronounce cat as 'cart', but they would just look uncommonly stupid. I.e. If they saw a cat and said to one of their snooty friends "Look, Archibald Ponsonby-Fruitmarket", "There's a cart! Isn't it simply marvellous?!", their friend would look at him as if he's darft. "No, it's a small, furry animal, Archiebald - not an apple cart" "You silly old bounder, you!"
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
No they don't, because they pronounce it almost as a short 'e', like 'ket'!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-12-2017, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
We had a Northern teacher at school who would tell us to 'Luke at the Buke'

What's that all about? We only had books, no bukes.
Yes, my dad used to talk like that.

Look sounded like Luke, and book like buke, so I know exactly what you mean.

I think that lengthened 'oo' sound is more common in the north of Lancashire than in God's County. We call a speyde a spade.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

08-12-2017, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, my dad used to talk like that.

Look sounded like Luke, and book like buke, so I know exactly what you mean.

I think that lengthened 'oo' sound is more common in the north of Lancashire than in God's County. We call a spade a spade.
I wonder how they would say spook? Sort of..... Spoooooooook.

Page 7 of 17 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top