Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2017, 11:01 PM

my son need a bit of help

So it is a case of going to sons flat to do a bit of work for him

His outside door frame has gone rotten so it is a case of cut out and block fit new sections. Not overhard to do but he doesn't have the tools to do it with. So it is good old dad to
the rescue.

Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2017, 11:09 PM

Re: my son need a bit of help

I'm always being roped in to do stuff for my daughters and grandchildren and I wouldn't have it any other way.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2017, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I'm always being roped in to do stuff for my daughters and grandchildren and I wouldn't have it any other way.

That is fair enough, but how are they going to learn if someone does it all for them? Nothing wrong with watching and correcting what they do wrong .

With my sons issue I will do one and show him how with wood jointing etc then he will have to do the other.

I learn't a lot as an apprentice working on building sites etc when I was at the beck and call of every trade apart from the one I was training for.
Ok I am no expert but I can lay a brick- do electrical work- plaster- woodwork-tiling etc but anything to do with water and gas no way.

Even built a house extn from digging out for foundations to- laying drains and pea shingle protection for them, hep sleeve joints and bridging drains to the roof furlings and boarding the roof. Only had roofing guys in to seal the roof. learn't about fire check doors door hanging- widow installation and loads more. Even stirp down a car engine and rebuild on cars like the morris minor era one of which i did a total rebuild on

I am absolutely useless at is cooking- wall paper hanging and painting , washing - ironing and general domestic chores, never taught and never learnt an don't wish too.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 03:54 AM

I taught my son how to wallpaper the other day, it's so funny seeing him actually doing it especially as the wallpaper is pink with unicorns and fairies on it but the little girl whose bedroom it is is very impressed.

I have a go at anything even considered stripping and refinishing an oak floor until I realised how big a job it was, I did strip the oak top on an island in my kitchen though and it looks like new now.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

14-08-2017, 02:33 PM

This day and age and costs are making more people into DIYers. trouble is a lot don't have a clue and wind up costing more having professionals in.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2017, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
It's a good way of using all those tools we bought but never used.
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2017, 09:06 PM

The sayings around here are "ask Kev,he'll know how to fix it" or "get Kev to help you" or "don't you have one/any, ask Kev he'll have one/some for sure" And guess what, I don't mind. It's nice to give a hand when I've got the time and hopefully they'll learn something.
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2017, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It's a good way of using all those tools we bought but never used.
It's great to blow the dust off something you haven't used for a long time and get it back into action.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

16-08-2017, 07:36 PM

Well I have cut out the rot and blocked that in the photo. Son is goingto paint now and finish off

he took photo with his Iphone

just first coat of paint but what a difference to what was as shown in post 1. Not professional but he is happy with it

At least blocking with a hard wood should keep the rot at bay
Also added while at it a wood strip to stop water/rain blowing in under door which it did before
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

16-08-2017, 08:26 PM

see link

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=45727

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top