Join for free
Tondi
USA
Tondi is female  Tondi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2009, 05:55 PM

A Visitor

A short story I wrote:

The grandfather was sitting at the kitchen table with his head in his hands. He wanted to get on with his life but he found himself thinking about David, his grandson. David had died several months ago at age 16; he was driving his car and had lost control of it, going over a cliff. His daughter and husband were still in shock. No other children in the family and that made Bart sad. He was a typical teenager driving too fast and not thinking of the danger of driving recklessly. It was so empty without his grandson being with him and talking about sports, girls and other subjects that he shared with his grandfather.

Bart heard a noise outside and went out to see what it was, he found a young girl wandering in his yard. “Who are you looking for? I am the only one here. Are you lost?”

“Oh, I’m sorry I was looking for my dog who I thought came here. I will leave now.” Bart saw that she was pretty and young; he couldn’t imagine her wanting to rob him or anything.

“You can look for your dog but I haven't heard anything out here except you.”

“I will look and then leave; he must have gone into some other yard. Thank you for allowing me to look.”

This young girl was the first person he had talked to since David died. Maybe he should go help her; she looked like the girls David liked to date. Maybe she knew him from school. She seemed friendly and so concerned about her dog, that Bart found himself wanting to help her.

She told him her name was Christy and the dog’s name was Checkers. Bart started calling for Checkers as he walked. The dog wasn’t there so Bart suggested he help her go around the neighborhood. She agreed and then he was telling her about the people who lived in the houses they past. “Do you live around here?”

She was reluctant to answer that question but she said she lived several blocks away. After an hour, she said she would go home and see if Checkers returned. She thanked Bart and gave him a big smile. She was a beautiful young girl with long blonde hair and pretty blue eyes. She had a nice smile and an engaging personality when she talked with Bart about Checkers.

Bart went and told his daughter and husband about this girl named, Christy and her dog, Checkers. They were wondering who she was but then they didn’t know all the neighbors. Bart told them Christy was pretty and had a nice smile. He joked about wondering for a while if she was trying to rob him or something. She definitely was not a menacing looking teenager.

They all got caught up in the story of Christy. It was a relief to have someone else to talk about besides David. She was probably about the same age as David and might go to the same school.

A few weeks passed and Bart was wondering about Christy. He decided to drive around and see if he could see her, it was a Saturday and no school. He drove around and looked at the houses but didn’t see her anywhere.

After dinner, Bart was drinking his coffee and heard something in his yard. He went out and there was Christy. “Hi, Christy, did you find Checkers?”

Christy said no but she was sure he had a good home because he was so sweet and gentle. She seemed to have the issue settled in her mind and so Bart didn’t say anything more.

Bart liked the girl and wished he knew more about her but didn’t want to impose. He asked if she would like something cold to drink and he would bring it out on the porch. She said okay and sat in a chair while he placed lemonade on the little table. She was a polite girl and he enjoyed her company. She laughed at his stories about the old days when he was young.

Bart did ask her her last name was and she said Rogers and they lived on Oak Street in the big white house with blue shutters.

They had many more conversations on the porch and Bart looked forward to seeing her. She showed him pictures of herself as a child. She was beautiful even as a child. He spoke about David and she was sympathetic and curious about his life. She said she felt David was in a happy place and she looked so sure about David that he felt like he was letting go of his stored up feelings for his grandson. They talked about everything in general that was of interest to both of them.

One day, after Christy told him she would be over, she didn’t show up. Bart was worried but she was a young girl and probably had plans. A week went by and he was wondering what had happened. He drove over to Oak Street and saw the big white house and blue shutters, he stopped and decided to go ring the doorbell. A woman answered and looked like Christy. It must be her mother, he thought. He asked if Christy was home and she said he must have the wrong address. After Bart left she told her husband about the man at the door. “He must be one of those people who are trying to write a story about Christy.”

Bart never saw Christy again and thought she must be a runaway or not telling the truth. Bart looked outside one day and there was Christy. She was smiling at him. He ran out to see her disappear in front of his eyes. She was a vision and Bart was wondering if he was seeing things but he knew she had to be an angel sent to help him with the grief of David.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2009, 07:01 PM

Re: A Visitor

Gripping story Tondi - I couldn't wait to get to the end to find out what it was all about!
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2009, 08:55 PM

Yes - that kept you wondering till the very end
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2009, 09:02 PM

Good read-did wonder what the ending would be.........
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2009, 10:11 PM

Excelent, well written and holds the interest.
Tondi
USA
Tondi is female  Tondi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2009, 06:27 PM

Thank you for your nice comments.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2009, 07:05 PM

I've just come across this thread....... an excellent story which made me keep reading to until the end.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top