Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Funky Farmer
Bedfordshire, UK
Funky Farmer is male  Funky Farmer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2009, 12:39 PM

Re: Is DIY a good thing?

DIY is ok I suppose. It depends if you can afford someone else to do it for you I suppose

I'm great at sitting in the chair supervising and pointing out missed bits.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2009, 09:25 PM

I've always done DIY. Nothing major but some fairly good projects over the years. I just helped with building an extension on the front of our house. Not actually building but some work including earth shifting, daily cement mixer cleaning and just generally helping the builder where I could.

After the internal plastering was done, the rest was all down to me. that involved putting the skirting board on, sealing the plaster, papering the walls with textured paper and painting it. Also putting up shelves and then putting the bedrooms back together. We started shortly before the clocks changed in summer and only just got back into our bedroom in time for Christmas.

I quite enjoy DIY and the project provided a lot of interest for me. There are still a few bits and pieces to sort out but in a way, I'm sorry the job is over.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2009, 03:07 AM

I know who to call when I need a hand now then Mart
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2009, 03:35 AM

Hubby's the DIY'er around here. And he's a pretty good one at that!
He added on to our place last year - did it all himself - from the foundation to the roof. It's not all finished on the inside, but we are enjoying the exta room!
This year he put on a new deck.
He says he will never do an addition again, but loves working with wood, and already has plans for more decks!
He's one of those people who just can't sit still - has to have some kind of project on the go!
Me, I make for a real good supervisor, and safety consultant too!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2009, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
I know who to call when I need a hand now then Mart
Erm, well maybe

Hello lovemyboys - I couldn't do what your hubby has done. He is a clever fellow. I can handle the internal part once the plaster is on but not the construction part. I haven't got the know-how.

About supervising, Mrs Mart is good at that. She has saved me many a mistake by watching what I do. She says I'm apt to make them because of being left-handed and so see things differently sometimes. True perhaps. I can cut mitres at entirely the wrong angle once in a while. Other examples too that I can't think of right now.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2010, 10:16 AM

I don't mind anyone doing DIY if they know what they're doing but this guy did everything himself, including installing the gas boiler. The room thermostat with the boiler is supposed to be put in a room but he's put it straight next to the boiler in the utility room which means the boiler doesn't get the right temperature reading. Plus he wired up the kitchen sockets with lighting cable and that is really dangerous.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

01-01-2010, 12:15 PM

I wouldn't do anything regarding gas and only very minor things to do with electrics. I believe it is actually illegal to DIY in that now isn't it?

Luckily, we have an electrician and registered central heating/plumbing people in the family. Even so, the electrician has to be qualified to do domestic electrics (a different certificate than the one needed for contract work in offices, industrial buildings, hospitals etc.).
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2010, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I wouldn't do anything regarding gas and only very minor things to do with electrics. I believe it is actually illegal to DIY in that now isn't it?
Yes it is mart, but people still do it.
Ford Prefect
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Ford Prefect is male 

04-02-2011, 02:46 AM

DIY is the bane of my profession.

Working as a renovator, I've come across far too many atrocities to count. What makes it worse, are the DIY shows on TV that people watch and think it's easy, not having any appreciation for the experience and skill involved.

The fun part is showing up in the framed basement (that hubby started months ago) after SWMBO told him it was taking too long and to call a contractor. I'll walk around and point out the flaws in his work and explain that a full day will be required repairing his work before I can even begin finishing it right.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top