Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2014, 11:29 PM

Re: Do you panic if you find an ant indoors?

A neighbour of mine had an ant problem, she put down some talcum powder then some baking soda, when she came downstairs next morning the ants were sitting in the armchairs with bath towels on them eating pies.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2014, 11:36 PM

In Africa we used Super Doom, didn't work but the name scared them away!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2014, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
A neighbour of mine had an ant problem, she put down some talcum powder then some baking soda, when she came downstairs next morning the ants were sitting in the armchairs with bath towels on them eating pies.
Love it!

Yes, I've heard about using talc, or chalk maybe.

I think some of the spray might have settled on my dinner,
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2014, 12:47 AM

I quite like ants they are fascinating to watch . I occasionally get one in the kitchen , I don't bother them and they don't bother me.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2014, 04:05 AM

Such cruelty. I have a few ants in my kitchen as well at the moment, but I could never kill anything. They are not dirty - in fact - they are extremely clean creatures, and highly intelligent. Shout at them and tell them to go away, and they will.

Why would anybody kill something that is no threat? They're millions of times smaller than us, and they can not affect our health, unlike flies, which I wouldn't kill either. They are also capable of carrying their own pals at 20 times their own weight when their own kind are in danger, which we can't do.

They are beautiful creatures and they are welcome to share my home if they wish to, for I will NOT kill, and it's good to read that others don't kill either, unless they are a threat to my life, and ants in this country can not fall into that category.

I honestly can't abide people who kill creatures just because they don't like them. I may not like a person, but it doesn't mean I'd kill them.
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2014, 06:16 AM

I had a mini-invasion last year and won't put insecticide down because of my cat. However, a trawl on the internet suggested wiping the kitchen surfaces with vinegar and it worked. Doesn't smell that much either and I'd rather try a deterrent as opposed to killing them.

Apparently, ants send out scouts to report on any potential snacks to be had, but vinegar's off their list..............

Gwyn
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2014, 08:16 AM

Yes, I've heard that too Gwyn.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2014, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Little devils will watch what ours do this summer
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2014, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Such cruelty. I have a few ants in my kitchen as well at the moment, but I could never kill anything. They are not dirty - in fact - they are extremely clean creatures, and highly intelligent. Shout at them and tell them to go away, and they will.
Twaddle! white ants eat your house and cause damage that will cost tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars to fix if they are not eradicated early, their nest found and destroyed.

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2014, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Twaddle! white ants eat your house and cause damage that will cost tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars to fix if they are not eradicated early, their nest found and destroyed.

Think we are talking about different problems here they are fairly benign little creatures here seeking food, I don't like killing them either any more than I like killing any creature just going about it's life.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top