Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2009, 04:13 PM

Do you tip your postman, binmen etc?

When I was small my mum used to tip the milkman, the newspaper boy, the binmen and the postman at Christmas. She also gave a tip to the grocery person who delivered her groceries every week.

I usually tip the binmen at Christmas but always seem to miss the postman as he calls at irregular times.

I also tip my hairdresser at every visit....and a bit extra at Christmas. Always leave a tip in a restaurant too.

Is tipping dying out, do you think?
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2009, 04:34 PM

Re: Do you tip your postman, binmen etc?

No - not any more.
The bin crew is different every week, so it would be unfair to tip the ones who happened around in late December
I always used to give our postie something but he's not regular any more - you get all sorts of people (and post going to all sorts of wrong houses but, ho hum, we can redistribute them)

I don't tip at the hairdressers. Aren't they all 'business people' now - renting the chair etc? Doesn't seem right to tip. If I have a junior do the shampoo (which doesn't happen that often) I will pop a coin in her piggy bank.

And I only tip in restuarants where the service has been acceptable and never if there is a service charge added.

Bah Humbug????
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2009, 04:48 PM

I give the postman a bottle of whisky every Christmas, . . he's a good lad, always cheery, and he likes the dogs.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2009, 05:02 PM

Never tipped the bin men or postie, and only at a restaurant if the service is good and we've been looked after
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2009, 06:53 PM

I'd like to tip our couldn't care less surly postman into the bin. Then I might tip the binmen (whatever happened to dustmen?) to take him away.
Geordiegirl
Suffolk UK
Geordiegirl is female  Geordiegirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2009, 07:46 PM

We always tipped the bin men, but since we moved the crew changes every week. But the postie is getting a bottle of Vodka(her fav) cos she is a wonderful person and loves my dogs
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2009, 08:23 PM

No - because they all earn far more than me!
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2009, 11:50 PM

My mum also used to tip the milkman, dustbin men and postman-I don't tip any of them-like others have said the postman never comes at the same time and we always seem to get a different one each day-never see the bin men, they always seem to come when I'm out and apparently they are a different crew each week. As for restaurants, I don't eat out but if I go on holiday I always tip if the service and food is good
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2009, 11:58 PM

I think tiping people is rather odd and where do you draw the line. Here there are three binmen, two postmen , two milkmen that seven people to start with. They are all earning a wage and I am retired with no wage at all so no I don't tip them neither do I tip my hairdresser who appears to earn in excess of £30 an hour.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2009, 12:00 AM

Here it's illegal to tip the postman, and the grocery delivery also prohibits tipping. The bin men come early am when I'm sleeping, so no. My newspaper carrier throws the paper anywhere, bushes, etc, and never double-wraps when rain is forecast so I do not tip them...they also come early am when I'm asleep anyway. Don't go to a hairdresser. I always leave 20% at restaurants with good service, especially at a place I go to regularly.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top