Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2016, 05:24 PM

Re: Electrical socket plates

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Does this job really need an electrician, or is it within the capability of a sensible DIYer?

I asked this question in Chit Chat, but thought it better to enquire here also.

In the bedroom I have two double socket plates, a blanking plate, and one for the tv aerial. All looking grubby and grey, and I thought how nice it would be to fit sparkling white new ones.

I can rewire a plug, and have done so several times in the past.

Thanks.
Law states if its your house you are allowed to do what ever you wont and kill your wife and children no come back.

But you cant do it for the man next door.

I installed C/H for years took loads of courses and payed out lots of money so I did not kill people and be sent to prison.

You will not be sent to prison over this even if you kill your self doing it

PS turn the power off before you start
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2016, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Law states if its your house you are allowed to do what ever you wont and kill your wife and children no come back.

But you cant do it for the man next door.

I installed C/H for years took loads of courses and payed out lots of money so I did not kill people and be sent to prison.

You will not be sent to prison over this even if you kill your self doing it

PS turn the power off before you start
I ain't doing the man's next door!! I was considering watching what he does!

*tuts*
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2016, 11:06 PM

Legally (in the UK) I believe you can make basic electrical changes like replacing sockets, light fittings etc without having to be a "Part P" qualified electrician so no problem there.

Changing light switches and sockets is a piece of cake, just make note of where all the wires were connected before you disconnect them and wire the new unit the same.

A top tip I will give you is to NEVER do any electrical work unless you have a neon screwdriver. This is a cheap screwdriver that has a small LED in the end which you can touch an electrical contact with safely. If the contact is live, electrified, then the LED will light up. It's a foolproof way to test any cable before you touch it. Looks like this:

You could pick one up from the pound shops.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2016, 11:23 PM

I'll have a look in my tool bag to see if I have one or not. My brother gave a fully equipped bag to my Mum some years ago, and when she died I 'nicked' it. I also have many tools of my own.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2016, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Legally (in the UK) I believe you can make basic electrical changes like replacing sockets, light fittings etc without having to be a "Part P" qualified electrician so no problem there.

Changing light switches and sockets is a piece of cake, just make note of where all the wires were connected before you disconnect them and wire the new unit the same.

A top tip I will give you is to NEVER do any electrical work unless you have a neon screwdriver. This is a cheap screwdriver that has a small LED in the end which you can touch an electrical contact with safely. If the contact is live, electrified, then the LED will light up. It's a foolproof way to test any cable before you touch it. Looks like this:

Oops!

Pop over to a certain DIY electrical forum (I can't post the forum address, of course) and you'll find that those 'mains testers' are not held in high regard. For one thing, if the internal resistor should fail, you can be directly connected to mains voltage electricity.

Having said that, I have one!

I think a better option would be one of these:
http://www.tester.co.uk/flk2ac-volt-...2SDxoCBazw_wcB

Safer, because you are not in contact with the electricity. However, you have to be aware of false negatives and false positives. An example of the latter is the fact that rubbing against an object can cause it to light up.

Yes, I have one of those as well!
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2016, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

The best thing to do with one of those is throw it in the bin, bloody dangerous things.
You do need Part P for any work done in a kitchen or bathroom.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

25-04-2016, 07:52 AM

I watched some videos showing how dangerous they could be. Yes, I do do my own research.
Aafak
The Black Country
Aafak is male 

25-04-2016, 09:50 AM

Oh what a fuss to change a couple of s/sockets. Most like I would change them without even turning the supply off.
That I guess is knowing what you are doing and not knowing what you are doing.

I remember a old boy who trimmed incoming mains cables with bare hands and a penknife and tested the polarity of lighting by putting his finger into the lamp holder's . And he lived to 93 years of age which was surprising as his driving was deplorable.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2016, 10:05 AM

Why did he want to know the polarity of a lamp holder? Was he AC/DC?
Aafak
The Black Country
Aafak is male 

25-04-2016, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Why did he want to know the polarity of a lamp holder? Was he AC/DC?
No he was a minister of his Methodist Church and sex was a sin. Lamp-holder test was to confirm the switch was in the live feed and not the neutral.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top