Join for free
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2016, 07:46 PM

Who remembers Plasticraft?

Do you remember that liquid plastic stuff that was poured into moulds to make 'pretty brooches' and 'paperweights'. I spent hours as a kid trapping bugs and flies so that I could encase them in plastic to create a pretty brooch. I don't think you can buy it any more.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2016, 08:27 PM

Re: Who remembers Plasticraft?

Yes, I had a kit from Midland Educational shop in Bristol. It was brilliant! I made a paperweight dome with bits of watch in it, it looked like a universe!
You can still buy clear resin and moulds!
Have a look on Ebay.
I've just got some lovely resin stuff that you can mould , I'm making Chuthulu tentacles with it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2016, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I'm making Chuthulu tentacles with it.
Ok, so I really had to look that up. Does that mean anything in the shape of an octopus?

I wasn't aware you could still buy the stuff. I think I liked the smell most of all.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2016, 03:22 PM

Yes Longdogs, it's a Steampunk thing, I'll probably make a little one for a hat decoration or walking stick handle, the stuff I have can be used like Fimo, but without baking. I bought it because my favourite swagger stick has a raven on the handle, it fell over and the beak broke off and vanished. It made a really good replacement, just had to be painted, even stuck onto the original head with no glueing!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

08-05-2016, 10:12 AM

Yes Longdogs, it's a Steampunk thing, I'll probably make a little one for a hat decoration or walking stick handle, the stuff I have can be used like Fimo, but without baking. I bought it because my favourite swagger stick has a raven on the handle, it fell over and the beak broke off and vanished. It made a really good replacement, just had to be painted, even stuck onto the original head with no glueing!
I'm gradually 'getting' steampunk' and have read a few novels. There is also an excellent episode of Fringe where the main character has a glass heart powered by batteries.
Sundodger
Spain
Sundodger is male  Sundodger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2016, 04:27 PM

Where I grew up (if I ever did!) there was a boat-builder called Plasticraft.

Just saying!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

08-05-2016, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I'm gradually 'getting' steampunk' and have read a few novels. There is also an excellent episode of Fringe where the main character has a glass heart powered by batteries.
Batteries! Should be steampowered! Tsk!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

09-05-2016, 09:48 AM

Batteries! Should be steampowered! Tsk!
Yes I realised that after I posted but over all I think the episode had a steampunk feel to it.

As a steampunk novice, can I ask how long the concept has been around?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

09-05-2016, 11:39 AM

Not sure, but several years, I joined three years ago but, some folk have been involved years before that.
I enjoy the nice folk and making costumes.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top