Join for free
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 06:11 PM

Changing a wall light switch

I just went to turn on the light in my lounge and the switch started sizzling. So tomorrow I intend to buy another switch and have a go at wiring it in. I'm totally useless at everything electrical - can anyone direct me to some idiot instructions please?

The current switch is a double but actually only works for one light (no idea about another light), so I thought I'd just buy a one switch switch!
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 06:41 PM

Re: Changing a wall light switch

might not be as easy as you think , our double needed changing and after several attempts we had to get a electrician friend in to do it .
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 06:52 PM

I've just remembered that I have an old DIY book here and it has some blurb on changing wall switches, even a two-way switch wired for one light!
However - it says to turn off the power and remove the fuse before taking off the face plate. Are they talking about taking the circuit breaker out of the main fuse box?
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 06:54 PM

ours was a double dimmer we were changing back to a plain double , the set up and coloured wires were differant ..

yes we isolated the down stairs wiring by flicking the circuit breaker in fuse box off
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 07:04 PM

Lighting circuits can be quite complicated, and if you don't even know which switch to buy (as there is a lot more to it than 1 2 or 3 actual switches), then get an electrician to do it. Damned dangerous stuff for the novice and saving a few quid certainly isn't worth burning the house down for...
Eliza
Chatterbox
England

10-02-2017, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Lighting circuits can be quite complicated, and if you don't even know which switch to buy (as there is a lot more to it than 1 2 or 3 actual switches), then get an electrician to do it. Damned dangerous stuff for the novice and saving a few quid certainly isn't worth burning the house down for...

I agree with this wish we had the electrician in , in the first instance .
Lindyloo
isle of wight

10-02-2017, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Hmmm - I do understand the sentiment, but it could take days and days to get an electrician in and it's something I'd like to see if I can do. If I don't succeed straight away, I'll call half a dozen electricians and hope one turns up!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 07:58 PM

With lighting, it's difficult to advise, unless you have owned the house from the start, you don't know if someone else has had a go at it.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 08:05 PM

Do NOT do it yourself.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2017, 09:06 PM

It could be quite simple, depending on the way it is wired at the moment.

To be safe, switch off the circuit breaker (no need to take it out!) or, better still, switch off the main switch and make sure there is no power at all in the house.

Then unscrew the light switch and take a clear photograph of what's behind, specifically the back of the switch with wires attached of course.

Post it here, and if it looks correctly wired, I can probably help.

Changing a correctly wired light switch is simple, but if you are at all uncertain get in an electrician. It will probably be a quick and cheap job.

BTW, the switch 'sizzling' probably indicates a loose connection of one of the wires to the terminal in the switch, but it could be the switch that is faulty.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top