Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2017, 11:18 PM

Re: Tools

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
One more question if I may though? Can I use these new wood drills to put holes in the bottom of plastic garden tubs or have I got to get a different type of drill?

use existing drill bit will be ok but better a metal drill bit

there are 3 basic types of drills wood -metal and concrete . Just look on the packet will tell you which drill is for what say like in homebase or similar.

For plastic .. who cares ?

Years ago I drilled holes in a huge thick plastic container(using the B/D to make a strawberry barrel, using those round thingies

Very cheap to buy .. looks as if they're called 'holesaws'
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2017, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's a really useful video, Bazza.
I never know wood drills had that squigly bit on the end.

When I looked at the link you put on for buying, I don't understand the difference between 'Single Pinion', 'Hand Drill' and 'Hand Drill & Braces'? What the 'eck are braces and pinions for?

Sorry to ask such dumb questions. I'm not much good at DIY . . . you'd never guess though, would you.

Can anyone answer this question please, as I don't want to buy the wrong thing. Thanks alot.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2017, 09:20 AM

A pinion is a round gear used in several applications: usually the smaller gear in a gear drive train.
In this case the handle you turn is attached to the large cog wheel which in turn drives the smaller cog wheel which makes the drill turn faster. That is the one you have that you want to replace

a https://www.transtools.co.uk/hand-to...ace-drillbrace

is the other type so don't confuse the two. This link shows both types
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2017, 09:23 AM

They are all different types of drills for different jobs Mups so it's horses for courses really. By the way the bit that actually does the drilling is always called the "bit", as in brace and bit, so don't get mixed up there. However, from what I've read of your drill problems I gather you just want to replace the old brace that is falling apart, so why not just do that rather than get sidetracked by the myriad of other types?

Regarding the planing, one tip I would give you is to make sure the blade is barely sticking out of the bottom of the plane, better to make many strokes of a little than try to take too much off at once, because the plane blade wiould then tend to dig into the wood too far and jam.. Good luck.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2017, 09:26 AM

following on from Barry's tip do try it out on an old bit of wood lying about first so you have it set right and get used to it.

DON'T FORGET TO MAKE SURE THE WOOD ON THE GATE IS DRY FIRST IT CAN SWELL UP IF WET.

years ago timber was left outside after being cut down to what is called "weathering" that is allowing the wood to expand and contract until it stops.

Now almost if not all is dried in a kiln so this weathering is bypassed. So then the wood can warp badly.
My next door neighbour where I used to live built an extn and he thought he would treat all the wood for the roof struts with preservative . So he laid them all out on his lawn and applied the preservative. Next morning they were so bent he had to throw them out. He should have fixed them in place first. This is what can happen with kiln dried wood

this could be why your gate is catching
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

20-05-2017, 09:32 AM

Out of interest I wonder how many members actually know how to use a hammer properly? No not just bash something with.
To use it properly grip the handle end (not half way down) with the head facing down. Where your hand is should be level with object where the hammer has to make contact with.

Why? so that when the hammer head hits it is flat with the object and not at an angle. Hitting at an angle with a nail it could cause it to bend for example

Best to know how to use a tool properly
All I did in the first couple of apprenticeship years was to fetch and carry and learn how to use tools correctly
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2017, 10:21 AM

Regarding the drilling, Mups, I'd do what others have suggested and buy a cordless drill.

Any sort of hand drill requires you to have steady hands and when turning the drill that can be difficult for the inexperienced.

A cordless drill removes the need for you to turn it and you can concentrate on holding it steady and straight. Let the drill do the work.

They needn't be expensive and if you buy a good brand name you'll find it very reliable and useful in lots of jobs. You can also use them for screwing (ooer, missus!).
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2017, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Regarding the drilling, Mups, I'd do what others have suggested and buy a cordless drill.

Any sort of hand drill requires you to have steady hands and when turning the drill that can be difficult for the inexperienced.

A cordless drill removes the need for you to turn it and you can concentrate on holding it steady and straight. Let the drill do the work.

They needn't be expensive and if you buy a good brand name you'll find it very reliable and useful in lots of jobs. You can also use them for screwing (ooer, missus!).

Whatever do you mean JBR.

Thank you Bazza, Barry, JBR, you've all been a great help with your advice - and you're all lovely.

I shall leave you in peace now.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

20-05-2017, 04:24 PM

Just to let you know I've done my gate.

Bit of a fight with the plane, I don't think I'd got it adjusted right. It either skimmed over the wood and didn't take anything off, of it stuck in the wood, grazed me bloomin' knuckles on the concrete trying to shift it !
Anyway, I finished it off with sandpaper and slapped some wood preservative on the bare patch and it shuts good enough for me now.

Thanks again folks.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2017, 04:28 PM

Well done Mups, no pain no gain they say...

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top