Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 08:04 PM

Have knowledge but now too old

Yes it is true for me at least. All my working life of about 60 years and a few either side of that one learns many things.
May be car maintenance - building work in general or how to on other subjects.
The trouble is getting too old to do them. This was bought home to me when I went to repair my sons back door to his flat where the rot had set in on the down part of the door frame each side.
I did one side by cutting out the rot and replacing with a section of hardwood I have lying about in my garage. This involves shaping with a wood chisel to match existing.

showing my son even which way to use a wood chisel let alone a power saw made me realise what I had learnt over he years

These are a before and after photos of the work we did
I did the left frame here before . At least 2 inches had already gone because of rot

And he copied on the right before

Was a lot worse without the sill

After we did the repair . Not perfect but a lot better than it was

So he learnt a bit at least Including adding a stop lip in the sill, left him to add the back part if the sill step
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 05:57 AM

Re: Have knowledge but now too old

Good job RS, there's such a thrill in fixing something and these basic skills used to be passed on very much from father to son, but alas no more methinks, most kids these days can fix any sort of computer programming problem, but change a wheel on the car ..... dream on.....
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 08:29 AM

And apparently they can't even change a light bulb.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 09:40 AM

Like many of us, I started doing repairs out of necessity, although the satisfaction gained from doing it yourself, spurred me on, I learnt to repair my first, and then subsequent cars afterwards, nowadays its not so easy, and apart from the basic checks, there's not much you can do.
Same with our first house, learning to do repairs, even basic decorating
Was enjoyable, and we still carry out our own repairs ( where possible) and decorating, my son helps a little bit if we are decorating, but give him a computer and he's brilliant, a sign of the times methinks
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 10:32 AM

I was lucky enough to have a dad who always encouraged me to try things myself, as he still does. I learned a lot from him whether it was building, decorating, car repairs or model making. In later life I have improved on that by adding cooking and gardening to the list but the problem, I find, is not that I am too old (yet) but sometimes I just can't be bothered. I can't imagine how many pieces of wood I have sawn, how many plumbing fittings I have soldered or how many rubbish instructions I have battled through.

I will attempt almost anything but the motivation is definitely waning.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 10:40 PM

A neighbour even had to get someone to repoint a small bit of brickwork above his garage door. .. unbelievable
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2017, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I was lucky enough to have a dad who always encouraged me to try things myself, as he still does. I learned a lot from him whether it was building, decorating, car repairs or model making. In later life I have improved on that by adding cooking and gardening to the list but the problem, I find, is not that I am too old (yet) but sometimes I just can't be bothered. I can't imagine how many pieces of wood I have sawn, how many plumbing fittings I have soldered or how many rubbish instructions I have battled through.

I will attempt almost anything but the motivation is definitely waning.
This sounds like me Longdogs.
My Dad was a good example when dealing with decorating, gardening and many other things on a list far too extensive to mention here. I've always had a passion for anything electrical and being an apprentice trained engineer learned to add 'Precision' to most jobs including woodwork just like Realspeed has demonstrated with his excellent repair job.

But like you Longdogs, I am losing the 'drive and enthusiasm' to finish jobs - or even start them in the first place, and I would sooner sit here all day and peruse the forum or even go out for a walk and just watch the world go by....Where once, It was my world and I was a part of it, now I seem to be on the outside looking in.....And not liking much of what I see.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2017, 10:26 AM

It's lucky we are not neighbours OGF or I'm sure we would spend our days drinking tea, eating wagon wheels and talking about the job rather than doing it.

For me, the thing I hate is getting all the tools out and even worse, putting them back. I really should be dry walling part of my kitchen rather than chatting on here.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2017, 12:08 PM

That looks good, but since my husband's knee replacement anything ground level is very difficult for him so we have to get Nathan to help out, and I won't let him climb ladders anymore the worry about his knee was too much for me to bare, Nathan often doesn't even need a ladder he's so tall
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2017, 01:27 PM

In my time I've replaced window and door frames, I've replaced joists and floor boards and re plumbed a house from scratch. Repointed chimneys and painted and decorated. I used to buy old litho printing machines and strip down completely and then refurbish and rebuild to sell.
That was then, but now when I go to Sainsburys if I have to bend down to get something off a bottom shelf and stand up too quickly its as if I've been on a ride at Alton Towers and go dizzy and lightheaded. I think if i ever had the chance to have sex again it would probably kill me. 😁😁😁

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top