Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2017, 01:17 PM

Re: Oven

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
What there was Judd was a plastic tube, with an internal diameter of about 10mm, it looked like a plumbing fitting at first glance, half way down it's length is a threaded screw,I assume is the flex is passed through this, and the screw tightened, to form a clamp.
Yes, that's the idea - insert the flex through the tube and grip it with the screw. Don't tighten it too much.

2.5mm is a bit hefty for a 3kW oven and is not really designed to connect into a 13amp plug, more for connection to 20amp and above switches.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2017, 01:43 PM

It is hefty, the main problem being, I only have standard insulation strippers, so, I have to form a slit in the insulation with a craft knife, then peel it back, good job I bought more of the stuff than I need, I'm back there this afternoon, so as Nom suggested, I'll take a photo.
The next pressing problem is the Hob has to be changed, before the Oven can be refitted, this is Gas, in essence the job is simple, the take up point is in exactly the same place on both hobs, and there is an isolation valve, about 100mm back form the supply elbow, but, in years past, I did a lot of my own gas work, but would with current legislation, I would be loath to change it myself (on someone else's property) so, I asked the Heating Engineer across the road from me if he would swop it for a £40.00 bung (5 mins work) I have waited a week now, not wanting to hassle him, but as yet, no go.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2017, 04:21 PM

The first picture is of the clamp, the second of some type of screw holding the cover plate on, it seems to be a crude headed crosshead thing, my electrical straight blade screwdriver bridged the slots but was not up to turning it, the third photo is of the gas connection.

That screw may be a problem, these are probably pretty standard on these casings
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2017, 10:05 PM

The screw looks like a 'Torx' Spitty, you can buy a set of keys ( a bit like allen keys) or they also come as a screwdriver but if you don't come across them very often the keys are the best bet. Did Stevie Wonder do the soldering?....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

30-09-2017, 10:20 PM

Hello OGF, I have a set of Torx Keys, the photo is clearer than my original vision, the soldering is not my work, but one has to assume it is covered by the Ten Year NHBC stuff.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

07-10-2017, 10:17 PM

Hob now done, but clamps in a different place, and stopping the oven sliding back in. Moving the Oven supports down by 10mm tomorrow, these jobs get tedious.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

08-10-2017, 07:21 PM

Had to move the oven down 20mm to clear the gas pipe, just bought a 600mm X 25.5mm stainless steel strip to fill the gap between the top of the oven and bottom of the worktop, looks a treat though, and very swish.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2017, 07:53 PM

Have you noticed that one job always leads to another?

No good deed goes unpunished.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top