Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 01:34 PM

Re: Cold sores

I have been told that it is linked to the chicken pox virus somehow.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 01:40 PM

That's interesting I've had chicken pox twice and shingles which is also linked to it.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 01:49 PM

I blame my parents:

How are cold sores caught and passed on?

https://herpes.org.uk/cold-sores/?gc...xfD_BwE#causes

You catch cold sores by being kissed by someone who has an active facial cold sore. This might have happened just the other day – or maybe when you were a child, perhaps by being kissed by a relative.

Sometimes it will be caught on ordinary skin such as the hand or finger, if you kiss an area where there is sore or broken skin which can allow entry.

Cold sores are only caught by direct skin contact with the affected area, not through sharing cups, cutlery, towels, etc. Experts are clear about this, though you may see the opposite being stated on the internet or in leaflets from others.

You cannot give cold sores to someone who already gets them.
Although it might have been my grandmother - she was very kissy-kissy .....

How can cold sores reappear?

The virus hides in a nearby nerve and can sometimes reappear later on.

Other herpes viruses also hide away and may recur; for example, chickenpox/shingles and glandular fever, but they do not cause cold sores.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 01:59 PM

My dad had them really badly each winter. That could explain mine I guess as I started getting them in my teens but only occasionally not like him.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 03:27 PM

Superdrug sell surgical spirit...

https://www.superdrug.com/Health/Fir...earchPage=true
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 06:01 PM

I only get them if I'm very run down but have never had big ones only small. I have used zovirax it works better if you catch them early. Its best not to mess with them as that sort of prolongs them I found.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
I was about to recommend the same thing ..
Most chemists do a cheap equivalent.
It seems to be the best stuff around and dries them up quick.

I agree, that's what I have used - or the equivalent - and it works well, but like I said previously, I find it best to catch them straight away and then they don't develop.
Works for me.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree, that's what I have used - or the equivalent - and it works well, but like I said previously, I find it best to catch them straight away and then they don't develop.
Works for me.
I agree. Best to stick the cream on as soon as you feel the tingle. I sometimes get them on long haul flights and sometimes in summer along with hay fever.

I was kissed by a giant cold sore when I was a young man.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 07:23 PM

Incidentally, I did overhear a dentist once saying that there was evidence that cold sores might be cured using ozone - not sure how that turned out though.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2017, 03:22 PM

I cannot remember ever having a cold sore, but as most people carry the virus I'm sure it's just latent in all of us. They are caused by a strain of the herpes virus which is a nasty family including cousins like the chicken pox virus and shingles. The cold sore strain is spread by kissing so not easy to avoid. They tend to pop up in people when immunity is low. Acyclovir should heal the blister. They haven't worked out how to get rid of the virus, but there is a vaccination for shingles which has some efficacy depending on the age given.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top