Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2017, 03:30 PM

Re: Have l Bought The Wrong Bulbs?

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Val, Now lm totally confused!

Wouldn’t 50w give more light than 3w?
You’d think so wouldn’t you but different kind of light! Really, I don’t understand it but son advised us to get LED and they do make a difference.

By the way £1 each at Poundland.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2017, 03:58 PM

Val, Now lm totally confused!

Wouldn’t 50w give more light than 3w?
That depends Art.
3W wouldn't, but 7W might get reasonably near.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2017, 04:11 PM

Hi

To confuse things further.

The manufacturer of the bulbs is important.

My corals in my aquarium are photosynthetic, they need very bright light.

Cree LEDs are very bright for their power output, expensive, but worth it.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2017, 05:36 PM

Norway, l think the blue 12 pack halogen bulbs have been discontinued now? I bought a lot of packs, a while back.
I bought the LED four pack as they were only £5.95 per pack.
wow! how does £4.90 each sound
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2017, 06:50 PM

See here for more info:

http://www.thelightbulb.co.uk/resources/lumens_watts/

ETA: My previous post explaining that lamps are now measured in lumens rather than Watts has disappeared into cyberspace and I'm damned if I'm typing it all out again.

Suffice to say that four 5W LED lamps are more than adequate for one of those 4-legged bar type light fittings installed in a kitchen.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2017, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Boozercruiser ->
That depends Art.
3W wouldn't, but 7W might get reasonably near.
I just installed a couple of 38DDS, did the job nicely.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2017, 07:13 PM

Thanks for that! Swimmy.
Reading that, l now know that l have bought the wrong lights. I need the ‘daylight’ one’s.
I will take them back!
I think I have just done the same as you Artangel and ordered "warm white" leds for the kitchen. I have just rung the electrician up and changed them to "cool white" and asked for dimable bulbs and switches. There will be 8 or 10 of them in the kitchen and if they are too bright I will be able to dim them off. Hopefully this will sort it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2017, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I think I have just done the same as you Artangel and ordered "warm white" leds for the kitchen. I have just rung the electrician up and changed them to "cool white" and asked for dimable bulbs and switches. There will be 8 or 10 of them in the kitchen and if they are too bright I will be able to dim them off. Hopefully this will sort it.
Yes, there is a big difference. My kitchen already had warm bulbs in the ceiling. I have just had a light installed in the back utility area and the bulb is cool. Completely different lighting.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2017, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes, there is a big difference. My kitchen already had warm bulbs in the ceiling. I have just had a light installed in the back utility area and the bulb is cool. Completely different lighting.
These lights are going to be the little round ones in the ceiling and I am changing over from two lights with long life bulbs in them so it will be quite different. The kitchen is being changed to whitish quartz worktops and neutral, pale coloured cabinet doors (only changing the doors and worktops). . I don't know if it will look too stark or not. I want to lighten everything up - hope I've not gone too far and it will turn out looking too cold. I have under cabinet lights and the electrician said he will change them to led as well when he does the work. It's probably going to look like Blackpool illuminations.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2017, 12:23 AM

LED's come in all the usual fittings Arty, including GU 10's I have just replaced halogen ones with LED's and have noticed no difference in light power.

Halogen bulbs get very hot indeed and and need replacing regularly, LED's run cool and last virtually forever, LED's might work out more expensive but will probably never need replacing and your electricity bills will be reduced. Make sure you buy a decent make though and avoid pound shop brands.....Eventually all bulbs will be LED's, some outlets only sell them now.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top