Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2017, 05:31 PM

Re: Dont know whats right/wrong

Well I'm sure we will go through it again next year, when they send me my reminder first thing I think is oh no it's that time on off again
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2017, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
....they are far more educated and know what they are doing, they seek the information and we pay for them to do that. It's my place to take their advice and so far it's working for me.
We all speak as we find...but I always ask questions and if I didn't then I wouldn't be here now!
The experts never mind the questions at all, in my experience.
But this isn't the time or the place to tell the story...but always ask questions and if it's serious always get a second opinion.
channeal
Sussex UK
channeal is female  channeal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2017, 06:29 PM

Just seen this post. My husband is starting his first chemo on Wednesday. He was told that he could have had the flu jab before, but that it wouldn't have any real benefit after starting chemo. That may however be because his myeloma and the chemo for it particularly lower the immune system though (not sure).

I wanted to mention that my husband knows of somebody who was on steroids and the story is that they reacted with the flu jab and caused some serious problems. I am not sure how common that is, but it might be an idea to check with your doctors first before having the flu jab if your treatment includes steroids.

I am having the flu jab myself next week. My husband is meant to keep away from bugs as far as possible and I seem to get every bug going recently! I had the flu jab for the first time last year and didn't have such a bad time bug-wise as the previous year, so maybe it helped a bit. Am buying some vitamins aimed at increasing one's immune system too. Anything is worth a try!

Chris.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2017, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by channeal ->
Am buying some vitamins aimed at increasing one's immune system too. Anything is worth a try! Chris.
No need for artificial vitamins. Just work out which foods are rich in vitamins and healthy compounds and get as many of them into your body as possible.

Some pointers:

Lemons, grapefruits, garlic, ginger, broad beans

Fermented vegetables like sauerkraut, kimchi

Oats and Barley

Shiitake, maitake, and reishi mushrooms

Note that a simple paracetamol tablet contains ONE active ingredient.

Garlic by comparison has over 300 active compounds all working in harmony to give you huge health benefits. Scientists are still working out how most of them work.

Stick with Nature, accept no substitutes or synthetic wannabes.

Your immune system is everything. Feed it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2017, 10:51 PM

I'm managing vitamin tablets too it's much easier than trying to eat when you aren't feeling your best. My chemo has really affect my sense of smell many foods I love I just can't stand the smell of now.

I also think many veggies don't have the vitamins they used to have in them. They aren't treated well these days mass grown, travelled and trampled they aren't like veggies we used to get.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2017, 11:14 PM

When my close friend was on chemo she could not keep any food down so extra vitamins were essential. I think the body just doesn't absorb the nutrients in food so well during such invasive treatment.

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top