Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Goldcrest
Scotland
Goldcrest is female  Goldcrest has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2017, 10:53 PM

Spring bulbs, too late ?

I have around 100 spring bulbs left to plant, and was planning on having them planted tomorrow. The weather is really cold here in Scotland. Do you think it's still okay to plant them? It seems such a waste not to. They are daffodils, tulips and anenomes.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2017, 11:05 PM

Re: Spring bulbs, too late ?

ive still got Tulips to plant, i shall be putting them in pots asp.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2017, 11:06 PM

Yeah go on, live dangerously!
I would...just do it

But I live near the South Coast mind...yeah go on, I still say just do it!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2017, 11:10 PM

Not sure about all of them, but I know tulips are best planted late as it's supposed to help keep 'Tulip Fire' disease at bay.

I'd give it a go, Goldcrest, they'll only start sprouting in the bag otherwise.
If the grounds very muddy, I'd put a bit of gravel in the hole first to try and prevent rotting.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2017, 11:32 PM

Hi Goldcrest I have had barrels full of white chrysanthemums that have only just died so I pulled them up last week and intended buying some bulbs to replace them .

The big chains had put away all their garden stuff including bulbs in favour of Christmas things.
So I went to the local but more expensive nursery and they had some spring bulbs left.

The owner who is a friend said it wasn't too late to plant bulbs so I bought some daffodils and planted them . They were already sprouting so I made sure they were well covered with soil and put a mulch of chipped bark on top. Leaves would do the job too.
Goldcrest
Scotland
Goldcrest is female  Goldcrest has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2017, 11:37 PM

Thanks everyone. They will be going in tomorrow lunchtime. The prospect of a garden full of spring flowers ( I hope!) is so cheering.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2017, 12:55 PM

The Muscari, Tete a tete and tulips I planted are already making an appearance.
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2017, 01:04 PM

iv just put 200 snowdrops in and 100 daffs
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2017, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
The Muscari, Tete a tete and tulips I planted are already making an appearance.
So have mine and I did do them to the correct debth, so im thinking they will die back when the worst of winter hits them .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2017, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
So have mine and I did do them to the correct debth, so im thinking they will die back when the worst of winter hits them .
That's what I'm wondering too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top