Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 06:55 AM

Victoria the first state to legalise voluntary assisted dying

Victoria has become the first state in the country to legalise assisted dying for the terminally ill, with MPs voting to give patients the right to request a lethal drug to end their lives from mid-2019.

After more than 100 hours of debate across both houses of Parliament and two demanding all-night sittings, Lower House MPs ratified the Andrews Government's amended bills.

The patient must administer the drug themselves, but a doctor can deliver the lethal dose in rare cases where someone was physically unable to end their own life.

The legislation includes 68 safeguards, including new criminal offences to protect vulnerable people from abuse and coercion, and a special board to review all cases.

NT passed similar legislation a few years ago but it was over ridden by the Federal Government.

A similar bill failed by one vote in the NSW Parliament recently.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 07:30 AM

Re: Victoria the first state to legalise voluntary assisted dying

Good for them!!! Well done Victoria.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 07:44 PM

Yes good for them. If I let any of my animals get into the state some poor people are in........I'd be put in jail for cruelty and abuse..
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

The patient must administer the drug themselves, but a doctor can deliver the lethal dose in rare cases where someone was physically unable to end their own life.
Good for them .. I applaud them. Wish we could have such consideration over here.

I especially like the bit I've put in bold. It removes leaving any loved one wondering and worrying, after the event, if they did the right thing. Grief might easily do that and add more to their own pain.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 08:33 PM

At last a light at the end of the tunnel.
I certainly hope that we follow.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 10:38 PM

I agree too.
It had to come one day, and I hope we have this too one day.

As I said once before, it seems all wrong to me that at present, someone terminally ill has to try and fund the long journey to Dignitas to find the help they want.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 11:26 PM

I think that's good news plus I'm glad to see all the safeguards in place.
Franbern
London
Franbern is female  Franbern has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 05:36 PM

Good news....hope UK will look carefully at this in the not too distant future
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 05:41 PM

I agree with what's already been said. Excellent news.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 09:58 PM

Once again, other civilised countries showing us the way.

I know that if I was facing an unpleasant end, I'd do the deed myself and let the bureaucratic buggers try to prosecute me afterwards!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top