Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 09:41 PM

Re: Turned 50 and started falling apart!😨

Originally Posted by doctor ->
wait till you get past 70,,theres not much left to fall apart
Oh dear, I hope not. I'm 71 and I can't fall apart yet - too much responsibility to grandchildren and too much to do. Sometimes I don't think my son and daughter realise I am getting older and I am not going to tell them.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 09:55 PM

Floydy asked
"Did anyone else here experience a sudden slump in their fitness or health when they turned 50?"

I have never been one for gyms and consciously keeping fit Floydy, but I do believe in keeping active, even if you have an ache or two. To be honest when I hit 50 it seemed as if I had a new lease of life. I enjoyed being 50 and into my 60's. I think I realised that I could please myself a lot more. Still on a timetable at work, but no longer dictated to by folks as when I was younger. I suppose I must have slowed down a bit and I get aches and pains along with some surgeries over the last 10 year or so, but I am determined to keep going and pop a pill if I have too many aches and pains. Thing I am most concerned about is if I become mentally frail - my body may be slowing down, but I want to keep my brain cells snapping. Keep moving is my strategy and, hopefully the "bullets" will miss or be deflected.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Sorry to hear about your health problems Floydy, I suffered a Heart Attack at fifty four and again at sixty four. I smoked for thirty five years until 2004 but never touched another fag since. My Dad also suffered a Heart Attack in his fifties and the general consensus of opinion at the hospital was that mine was due to hereditary factors and that I survived due to my fitness.

The problems you describe (especially the arthritis in your knee) sounds like inflammation, which incidentally was linked to my Heart Attacks, I have been having good results from taking Turmeric, and avoiding things like red meat and cheese (Known inflammation causes) of course, I still eat both of these, but have cut down. The thing with Arthritis is that you must keep the joint moving, but not under load conditions. Resting it is not the correct treatment.

I have had to accept many changes to my running concerning speed and distance Floydy, but as long as I can still get out there then it's good enough for me.....

Funny you say that about Turmeric, Foxy, you're the second person this week who has told me it has helped them with their arthritis.

I started to research it, and one thing to remember is it is not good if you are on Warfarin or other blood thinners as it enhances their action. Also, do not take it for 2 weeks before any pending surgery because of excessive bleeding.
Perhaps worth bearing in mind.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 10:34 PM

I'm lucky in that I have always been fairly healthy but not into fitness, although I used to jog a bit when I was in my twenties. I didn't really notice any change when I turned 50 but I suppose I had nothing to compare it to. I have perhaps noticed that I am not quite as strong as I used to be but I think that is partly a mental thing.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Funny you say that about Turmeric, Foxy, you're the second person this week who has told me it has helped them with their arthritis.

I started to research it, and one thing to remember is it is not good if you are on Warfarin or other blood thinners as it enhances their action. Also, do not take it for 2 weeks before any pending surgery because of excessive bleeding.
Perhaps worth bearing in mind.
Thanks for that Mups, the only medication I'm on at present is an Aspirin every morning together with a low dose (2.5mg) of Ramipril. I must admit that with the Aspirin I bleed for England from just a little nick. Do you suppose the Turmeric might be interfering?

Interesting Longdogs, I've lost quite a bit of strength too, I think there is a lot of muscle wastage once you stop working for a living (If you don't use it, you lose it). I was helping Mrs Fox to carry some boxes of books yesterday and my biceps were stiff this morning, wouldn't have made any difference just a few years ago.

Having been a runner for forty years you get to know just how your body is feeling, sometimes you know something is wrong but aren't sure what it is. Indeed, the week before my Heart Attack I became immensely tired and lethargic and my times were slower than normal on regular runs, I just didn't put two and two together. Who would have thought that I was building up to a Heart Attack.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 11:38 PM

Mrs LDs hears about the benefits of Turmeric tea so she bought a big bag of the stuff. It' still sitting in the cupboard because she says it tastes so horrible. I suppose it's best to add to food instead.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

29-11-2017, 11:40 PM

Thanks for that Mups, the only medication I'm on at present is an Aspirin every morning together with a low dose (2.5mg) of Ramipril. I must admit that with the Aspirin I bleed for England from just a little nick. Do you suppose the Turmeric might be interfering?

Interesting Longdogs, I've lost quite a bit of strength too, I think there is a lot of muscle wastage once you stop working for a living (If you don't use it, you lose it). I was helping Mrs Fox to carry some boxes of books yesterday and my biceps were stiff this morning, wouldn't have made any difference just a few years ago.

Having been a runner for forty years you get to know just how your body is feeling, sometimes you know something is wrong but aren't sure what it is. Indeed, the week before my Heart Attack I became immensely tired and lethargic and my times were slower than normal on regular runs, I just didn't put two and two together. Who would have thought that I was building up to a Heart Attack.
I struggled a bit this morning walking 200 yards with three 3M lengths of skirting board on my shoulder. I had to keep swapping sides.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 11:57 PM

I am not qualified to say foxy, but have a read of this and see what you think.
I can't find the exact site I found the info on before, but this one says much the same.

There is quite a bit of info if you google about Turmeric.

http://www.umm.edu/health/medical/al...-with-turmeric
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 12:07 AM

No, but I noticed me boobs shrank between the ages of 40 and 50

Yes I've aches and pains , I do have two chronic conditions though so it's to be expected I guess.

A good day for me is just the bare minimum of prescribed medication, bad days are when I have to boost it till I rattle
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
No, but I noticed me boobs shrank between the ages of 40 and 50

Mine got bigger!!

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top