Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 12:40 AM

Re: Turned 50 and started falling apart!😨

Originally Posted by carol ->
Mine got bigger!!

That's so not fair

I had the sort of boobs then entered a room 5 mins before the rest of me, then one day, poof, gone

Mind seeing as I was on the NHS list for a reduction , guess I saved a few tax payers a few bob lol
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 12:51 AM

Mine got bigger!!

So did my bum.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
So did my bum.

You know thinking about it, me tits might not have shrunk at all, only looked like they had as the waist line expanded outwards
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Welcome to the club matey!!!

I've swallowed a dictionary. I have: Arthritis (both hips & both knees surgically replaced), Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis, Emphysema, Pulmonary Emboli x 5, and now the latest, Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia.
Cheers Joe! happy days, eh?
My trivial complaints pale into insignificance compared to yours bud. I'm almost telling myself to 'man up' as I write.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems Joe, but if you don't mind me asking, are most of your health issues a result of bad living, or are you just unlucky?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Definitely, well since I was 49, really.

Pancreatitis, Hodgkins Lymphoma, lots of aches and pains. Mental health issues also.
Hell mate, sorry to hear that.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

30-11-2017, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Yes it happens to us all, but the ones who exercise feel the effects first. I was only 44 when my knee started to get sore, but even as it got worse they would do nothing because of my age. I was 57 by the time they had no choice but to operate and do a full replacement, by then I could hardly stand without my knee giving way under me.. AND the pain....shudder. It was terrible, I just wanted to die..
Sounds horrible, Roxy.
How cruelly ironic this is that you seem to have a point whereby if we exercise all our lives to keep fit, in the end it has a detrimental effect on our health. I think that's maybe what's happening to me too.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

30-11-2017, 02:47 AM

Yes some people do go downhill at 50 and some don't.
I believe it's more to do with genes than fitness.

I think you'll only aggravate your existing condition if you try to carry on with your usual exercise. You might even make things worse.

See a personal trainer at the gym and see what suggestions they can come up with.

In the meantime the only safe & sure exercise is swimming. Depending on your stroke & speed I imagine you can keep pretty fit with swimming.
Thanks Carol
Swimming will be top of my list when I get off nights. Until then I just don't have the time as the pools are full of kids or otherwise being cleaned in the afternoons when I can go ('cos of my night shifts).

PT's suggest physio, but quite often it's not possible with arthritis as it affects the bone, not muscle. We'll see what the doctor says and I'm also considering booking a massage to see if that helps.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

30-11-2017, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
A life of pumping weights and using gym equipment will inevitably take its toll.

I always think of those automatic machines in Ikea that demonstrate the reliability of kitchens when people talk about gyms. You know, the machine that has a metal arm attached to a kitchen drawer and is continually opening and closing the drawer with a counter ticking up each time showing how many 1000s of times it has donw it.

Your body I think is like this. In your lifespan there are only so many knee flexes that your bones have. Only so many times your back will flex back and forth. Essentially I fear you have used up hundreds or thousands of your allotted movements in the gym.

Now your body has reached the "wearing out" stage whilst you still need to be able to use your knees and back.

You'll have to ease up I suspect and only use your legs when you need to. Back problems are extremely typical for gym users. Compressed disks are very common.

A visit to the GP will see you put on the conveyor of potions and pills which will get progressively worse. I personally wouldn't go there but each to their own.

A persistent cough could be indicative of an underlying condition. MMaybe find out what that is before making too many decisions. You may need to alter your diet significantly as a result.
Superb post, Realist, and so true

Exercise looks like the main culprit. As an ex-bodybuilder (or close to it), I have pounded my body over the years, even when I've been 'careful' when lifting and using the correct techniques. I think it's probably happened in the years since I turned 40 - that period where most 'athletes' just keep on lifting the same way as they did when the were 20-30, and don't want to give in by going lighter. My knees have almost certainly suffered because of this.

I'm putting the cough down to dusty conditions in the workplace as when I'm off at weekends I'm okay. Hopefully the case anyway!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

30-11-2017, 02:55 AM

I can't believe the response here. I'm trying to give replies to most of the posts but I'm at work and have to get on with stuff. I WILL get back to the rest of your posts before I leave. Great replies thanks all
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

30-11-2017, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Sorry to hear about your health problems Floydy, I suffered a Heart Attack at fifty four and again at sixty four. I smoked for thirty five years until 2004 but never touched another fag since. My Dad also suffered a Heart Attack in his fifties and the general consensus of opinion at the hospital was that mine was due to hereditary factors and that I survived due to my fitness.

The problems you describe (especially the arthritis in your knee) sounds like inflammation, which incidentally was linked to my Heart Attacks, I have been having good results from taking Turmeric, and avoiding things like red meat and cheese (Known inflammation causes) of course, I still eat both of these, but have cut down. The thing with Arthritis is that you must keep the joint moving, but not under load conditions. Resting it is not the correct treatment.

I have had to accept many changes to my running concerning speed and distance Floydy, but as long as I can still get out there then it's good enough for me.....
Hi Bob.
It's interesting you mention hereditary as a likely cause in these cases.
Looking back, my dad had quite a few health issues which all revolved around aches and pains - his back, knees, hearing, eyesight, you name it. he was free from internal diseases though, which may be a relief - not that I'm going to go exactly the same way as he did; he suffered in the end with dementia, but I don't wish to speak about that too much in this thread.

As I've said before, Bob, you are a big inspiration to all on this forum as your running feats are quite exceptional, at any age never mind in their 70's as you are I believe.
And yes, resting the joints completely is not advisable but I'm certainly not that way inclined anyway. I've always kept fit. I'll start with a visit to the doc's (when I can get in) and take it from there

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top