Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Franbern
London
Franbern is female  Franbern has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 11:49 AM

Re: Shingles Vaccination

I have been waiting to have this Shingles Jab for several years. The way it has been rolled out is very complicated. I originally thought it was for all 70-80 years olds, but that is not the case. You can check your eligibility for it on the NHS website. I am 76 years old now, but will not be eligibile for this jab for another two years.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 01:26 PM

I asked my GP and I can't have it anyway at the moment due to chemo but it's not offered here until 75 and my GP says that's way too late if she could she'd be vaccinating from 50 as most get it before 70. But it's worse for over 70s so she can see the logic.

If I live that long I'd certainly have it I only had it mildly when I was 35 and that was bad enough !
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
Surfermom, I agree in that I feel 70 is too late. I was also surprised that the upper limit is 80. So the jab is only available for those in a ten year age bracket. My sisters are too young to have it. There are also restrictions for those on some medications. There was some doubt whether I would be eligible because I am on steroids, however, my doctor felt it was safe for me to have it.

Despite all the dire warnings about possible side effects, I have felt nothing whatsoever, no sore arm, no fever, nothing. Brilliant!
That is the same restriction here for the free Medicare funded vaccination (ie 70 to 79) BUT there is absolutely nothing stopping anyone of any age getting the vaccination for about $200 (£100). I suppose it depends how much you are prepared to pay to avoid the effects, damn sight cheaper than going to the dentist.

I had my freebie a couple of months ago and noticed no side effects at all either.
Canadian (sorry)
New Member!
Ontario, Canada
Canadian (sorry) is male 

10-12-2017, 03:53 AM

I haven't had the shot (mid-50s), but my doctor recommended it years ago, as soon as it came out, because I had shingles (relatively mild case compared to some people's experiences) when I was in my late 30s.
Franbern
London
Franbern is female  Franbern has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 12:48 PM

People under the age of 70 will get the shingles vaccine during the year following their 70th birthday. It's not available on the NHS to younger people, because shingles is more common in the over-70s.

Can those between ages 74 and 78 get this vaccine?

Not at the moment. The shingles vaccine is available on the NHS only for people aged 70 and 78 on or after 1 April 2017 (and to people aged 79 or those in their 70s who were born after 1 September 1942 who haven't been vaccinated yet).

The shingles vaccination programme is being staggered this way as it would be impractical to vaccinate everyone in their 70s in a single year.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 12:58 PM

There was a report out yesterday which said that the numbers of those affected by Shingles has dropped by 35% since vaccinations were introduced.

I am 79, and was told that because I was under 80 I was eligible. Had jab, no side effects.

Hope you are OK Franbern, Happy Christmas.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 09:09 PM

I is available for people aged 70- 79.I had just had my 80th birthday when the dates were announced, but though I was only just a few weeks past the cut off date my surgery refused to do it.My friend had shingles very badly a few years ago but because she is 85 her surgery say they cant do it

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top