Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2012, 12:08 AM

Home Insulation

Hi everyone

I just thought I'd share this with you all, just in case you aren't aware of it.

On Friday morning I had a surveyor come to my house to check on my loft insulation.

I'll cut a long story short but, apparently I only have 2" of loft insulation and the surveyor told me that the government will pay for me to have 8" in order that I might save on fuel and keep my house warmer.

He then mentioned cavity wall insulation, which I didn't have, so he said I could have that also, for free.

Then he asked how old my central heating boiler was and, if it was more than 10 years old, that could also be replaced, for free. My CH boiler was installed in 1984!

This is not a scam. The government is putting up £140 million for people to upgrade their homes in order to save fuel costs throughout the UK. You don't have to be a senior citizen but this is for anybody!

For anyone in the Lancashire or Greater Manchester area I can give you my surveyor's mobile number if you're interested, but you'll have to PM me for that. Outside these areas I'll be happy to put a link on here for you to contact them.

This is absolutely genuine as I've checked the website and I've read all the small print on the paperwork. In fact, this is something to do with the carbon footprint and, without being certificated, the sale of a house would be more difficult to achieve in the future.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2012, 05:51 AM

Re: Home Insulation

That sounds very interesting Mollie, I wonder if it would apply to aChalet home.Will look into it.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2012, 10:41 PM

That's interesting Mollie and thanks for posting. I have plenty of insulation in the loft but don't have cavity wall insulation. I nearly had it done last year but they said I had to have a vent in the wall because I have a chimney and I didn't want a vent and it was all a bit vague so I cancelled. I may get it done at some point.

I had the loft and walls done in my last house but didn't really notice any difference unfortunately but I did have to pay for it, it was under £100.

I thought to get it free you had to qualify, i.e. be over a certain age, be on benefits etc.?? I didn't know you could get a new boiler though, that's interesting.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2012, 01:23 AM

Thanks for the replies. No, you don't have to be on any benefits, be a senior citizen or anything else like that.

Annie, if you live in a chalet home with a loft, I would assume you would be entitled.

Anyway, tomorrow night I'll find the link and put it on here for you so you can at least enquire.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2012, 10:27 AM

I think various local authorities have insulations schemes running, it is worth contacting them to find out what is on offer in your area .

I had a leaflet through the door at the beginning of the year about a scheme open to people in Worcestershire over 60 /not means tested/you didn't have to be on benefits to qualify/on a first-come-first-serve basis due to a limited amount of cash being allocated.

A surveyor came , I had a small amount of existing insulation so qualified for a top up. I did not qualify for cavity wall insulation because I have the wrong kind of walls (my house is timber framed). I don't have a boiler.

My neighbour applied too, she had exactly the same existing insulation as myself we both had it done at the same time. However the surveyor who went to her house told her she would have to remove the existing insulation or adding more would mean there would be too much and this would stop the air flow . My neighbour decided not to have it done.

I rang up to check, there was no way I was going to scramble around removing dusty old insulation and cart it all to the tip . It was laughable ...
Apparently the surveyor who went next door was new to the job and got it wrong. My neighbour had her loft done too in the end.

It will be interesting to see if the house is any warmer this winter

This was my local scheme..
Worcestershire County Council has made funding available for each district council to offer free cavity wall and loft insulation to all residents over the age of 60 years old. This funding will be available until the end of 2012 if funds do not run out before. All free and discounted insulation schemes (national and local) will cease by the end of 2012. This is the last year to take advantage of these offers. For further information about the scheme in your area contact Act on Energy free
http://www.warmerworcestershire.com/
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2012, 11:48 AM

We had it all done a few years ago. Loft insulation, Cavity wall, New boiler & a couple of new radiators with Thermostats on each of the Radiators & new control switch (thermostat). I cant say i've noticed it being any warmer but at least the boiler is now a new Condensing boiler which is supposed to be more energy efficient. Seeing as it was all free I wasn't going to turn it down
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

16-07-2012, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I think various local authorities have insulations schemes running, it is worth contacting them to find out what is on offer in your area .

I had a leaflet through the door at the beginning of the year about a scheme open to people in Worcestershire over 60 /not means tested/you didn't have to be on benefits to qualify/on a first-come-first-serve basis due to a limited amount of cash being allocated.

A surveyor came , I had a small amount of existing insulation so qualified for a top up. I did not qualify for cavity wall insulation because I have the wrong kind of walls (my house is timber framed). I don't have a boiler.

My neighbour applied too, she had exactly the same existing insulation as myself we both had it done at the same time. However the surveyor who went to her house told her she would have to remove the existing insulation or adding more would mean there would be too much and this would stop the air flow . My neighbour decided not to have it done.

I rang up to check, there was no way I was going to scramble around removing dusty old insulation and cart it all to the tip . It was laughable ...
Apparently the surveyor who went next door was new to the job and got it wrong. My neighbour had her loft done too in the end.

It will be interesting to see if the house is any warmer this winter

This was my local scheme..
Really good that Meg. What a silly person the Surveyor was to suggest your neighbour remove existing insulation. They're topping mine up, not removing and replacing and, apparently, there'll be no mess.

Originally Posted by Lynne55 ->
We had it all done a few years ago. Loft insulation, Cavity wall, New boiler & a couple of new radiators with Thermostats on each of the Radiators & new control switch (thermostat). I cant say i've noticed it being any warmer but at least the boiler is now a new Condensing boiler which is supposed to be more energy efficient. Seeing as it was all free I wasn't going to turn it down
Well, I've had confirmation about the loft insulation, but heard nothing else about the cavity walls and boiler. I've got the man's number though so I'll see how I go.
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2012, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Well, I've had confirmation about the loft insulation, but heard nothing else about the cavity walls and boiler. I've got the man's number though so I'll see how I go.
If I remember correctly Mollie they did it bit by bit starting with the Loft. Its different contractors that do each thing.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

16-07-2012, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lynne55 ->
If I remember correctly Mollie they did it bit by bit starting with the Loft. Its different contractors that do each thing.
Oh right. Thanks for that, Lynne. The loft is being done on 4 September, so I'm sure it will make the house warmer as I'm losing all the heat from the roof.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2012, 03:30 AM

Forgot about this till I reread it Mollie. We havent got a loft entry in the hall and would have to get one done, that also slipt my memory( most things do thesedays). These houses are great but for the heat loss in winter and now Gas is too dear to waste but you also have to remember they are wooden, and have to be fire conscious at all times, but I suppose it would be cheaper than cremation!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top