Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2015, 05:23 PM

New pigs have arrived

Our new pigs have arrived - 9 week old 'Oxford Sandy&Black's - also known as 'Plum pudding' pigs.

Please don't say they're 'cute' - by Christmas, they'll be in be freezers.

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2015, 05:42 PM

Re: New pigs have arrived

Great looking pigs George you don't see many of those around.
I had some pork from Berkshire pigs the other day (from the Farmers Market) very succulent I bet yours will be too.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2015, 06:04 PM

Grumblewagon, I think it is possible to see the beauty in an animal and be enchanted by them even if they are destined for the pot.

To me its what reminds me to be grateful for the food on my plate.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2015, 06:05 PM

Handsome animals George, but they'll look even better on a plate with some fried eggs.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2015, 06:42 PM

I must admit that they are 'handsome' as far as pigs go. Not many years ago they were all but extinct and this is the problem with many 'traditional' breeds of farm animal. It seems to be all about price and profit these days, not taste, so it's left to enthusiasts and smallholders to preserve these breeds.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2015, 07:36 PM

I have no scruples about eating meat-but I like my meat to have been raised with care and left to mature a bit.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2015, 07:57 PM

I can see why they are nicknamed 'Plum Puddings' !

PS - they are cute!
opheila
North Jersey, US
opheila is female  opheila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2015, 08:48 PM

Um, if I had them and raised them...I'd have to go vegan.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2015, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by opheila ->
Um, if I had them and raised them...I'd have to go vegan.
I can see that-but better a farmer who cares then factories where the animal is just a commodity and we take some losses.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2015, 10:20 PM

I can't be a hypocrite. I like bacon but hardly eat it. I'm not a fan of pork per se but I'm not totally vegan either. I agree with you Opheila. I've heard that pigs are intelligent creatures. We have rescue bunnies & i have never eaten rabbit & never will. Bunnies are also very intelligent. I have 40 of them & every single one knows it's name��

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top