Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 09:22 AM

Dogs and tablets

I normally hide the tablet in food but this doesn't always work how do you give your dog tablets?☺
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 09:27 AM

Re: Dogs and tablets

I don't have a dog Doc but its the same with cats.
In the end of wasting so many tablets for worming etc
I now pay more money for drops which you put on their
neck. Work just the same but less hassle and no scratching.
Having had dogs years ago we used to put it in some chicken
or meat they liked. Normally worked just depends on the
nature of the animal. Think its best to start them when young
praising them for eating it and not trying to force it down as
that would put anyone off taking them.
Good luck.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 09:51 AM

If they can be crushed I crush them in cream cheese, if not then depending on the dog Elsie I can hold her and put the tablet in her mouth and hold her muzzle and gently rub her throat until she swallows, Betty is a 2 or 3 person deal with someone holding her another holding her head and me with thick gloves dealing with her mouth. Elsie is a 25lb Labrador Betty is a 5lb Chihuahua
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 10:08 AM

Like Julie cream cheese is a favorite way of getting my dogs to take a pill or hidden in peanut butter which they love..

I try never to make a drama of it and that seems to convince them its just a treat !
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 10:08 AM

wrap it in a parcel of food so dog cannot taste the tablet,i sometimes spread jam on a small piece of bread put tablet in fold bread over it and she is getting a loveyl tasty treat which she wants more of after..
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
If they can be crushed I crush them in cream cheese, if not then depending on the dog Elsie I can hold her and put the tablet in her mouth and hold her muzzle and gently rub her throat until she swallows, Betty is a 2 or 3 person deal with someone holding her another holding her head and me with thick gloves dealing with her mouth. Elsie is a 25lb Labrador Betty is a 5lb Chihuahua
Julie that is so funny, we used to have the same problem with Samantha, hubby used to hold her and I tried to put the tablets in her mouth, and gently rub her throat, she would stop struggling and you would think, yes, for her to look at you and then spit it out.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 10:47 AM

No problem ..
tilt the head up with the left hand while exerting gentle pressure on both sides of the mouth to open the jaws,
when the mouth opens pop the pill at the back of the throat,
close the mouth keeping the head elevated,
gently stroke the throat to assist the swallowing response.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
No problem ..
tilt the head up with the left hand while exerting gentle pressure on both sides of the mouth to open the jaws,
when the mouth opens pop the pill at the back of the throat,
close the mouth keeping the head elevated,
gently stroke the throat to assist the swallowing response.
Retrieve bitten off fingers from Betty's mouth while crying I wish I hadn't tried that
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 11:34 AM

I usually wrap it in cheese but she eats the cheese and spits the whole pill out
I have to prime her with a few dummies of cheese cubes with no pill in first then sneak one in ....depends how on-the-ball she is that day if it works lol
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 12:01 PM

Only had cats but I used to try to always get water soluble tablets(if not crush them very finely and add water) Take a syringe and squeeze it down their mouth.

WARNING-I know how to use a syringe,if not then perhaps not a good move. You do not want to choke your pet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top