Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2016, 10:49 AM

Is A Liar, Born Or Made?

Some people are compulsive/pathological liars You will give evidence that they are telling lies but they will still deny it. Why do they do it?
Are they born, liars, or made? Is it a mental flaw?
I could never lie so l find it hard to understand those that do!
What are your views
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2016, 10:56 AM

Re: Is A Liar, Born Or Made?

I think children quite naturally tell porkies, I have certainly had to teach all mine to not lie at about 5 or 6.
I can remember my Nan telling me off too when I was about that age. So I see it as bit of a parenting fail when I hear some people telling whoppers. I would also say some mental conditions lead to lies too so it's not always the persons fault.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2016, 10:57 AM

Born or made...a bit of both maybe...

I am a great believer in tell the truth though sometimes it can wise to say nothing .

I can never see the point in not being truthful and that includes being truthful to yourself.
Fail to do this and integrity is lost...
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2016, 11:11 AM

My second wasband is a compulsive liar.
I believe it's because he is the youngest child of three boys, the eldest was very bossy, self important and revered by the parents as being clever and handsome, the middle boy was always ill and suffered blackouts so got loads if attention. My ex found the only way to get attention was by making up exciting or dramatic stories.
This carried on in adult life, the eldest was successful made lots of money, arrogant. The middle one, steady job, plodded along being reliable. So wasband did exciting stuff, working overseas, changing jobs, usually by walking out after dramas, being lax with money, losing houses, sleeping in tents etc.
He always has some story, excuse. reason for why he's doing or not doing something or why something has happened to him!
I think he may have been born that way, but his upbringing could have changed him for the better if he'd had more attention.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2016, 11:12 AM

Same old record from me. My father was a compulsive liar-some of them so ridiculous you would not believe me if I told you. Was he mentally ill?-I would have to say yes-does that fully explain just how vile he was??-Clearly I cannot be fully objective.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2016, 11:21 AM

They are the sort who never grew up and developed from their childish view of the world and presume that grown-up people will believe their stories as other children do.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2016, 11:24 AM

On the theme of nature or nurture I never did manage to work that one out. My father seemed to worship the memory of his father,his elder brother(Uncle Maurice) was very quiet on that subject -in fact the only comment he ever made about my father was`He would have made a good politician` Aunt June always avoided my questions about my paternal grandfather with the answer `Raymond(my father) was not easy`
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2016, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Some people are compulsive/pathological liars You will give evidence that they are telling lies but they will still deny it. Why do they do it?
Are they born, liars, or made? Is it a mental flaw?
I could never lie so l find it hard to understand those that do!
What are your views
Not sure. Some adults lie about little thing with no advantage. I don't understand that.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2016, 12:53 PM

Can't stand liars whether born or bred. I think some lie to get their own way or to impress others but there are people who just can't seem to help themselves and lie about everything!
These are the ones who always have wall to wall sunshine on their hols - never rains - kids with genius IQ and have always read that book or seen that film before you - think that's a compulsion to lie so born, maybe?
Either way it's bl***y irritating!
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2016, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Can't stand liars whether born or bred. I think some lie to get their own way or to impress others but there are people who just can't seem to help themselves and lie about everything!
These are the ones who always have wall to wall sunshine on their hols - never rains - kids with genius IQ and have always read that book or seen that film before you - think that's a compulsion to lie so born, maybe?
Either way it's bl***y irritating!
Heh heh,I can only agree..I've come across a few in My time whos eggs are always double yolked..all Women..Why the heck do They do it...is it to make Themselves feel more important?..the daft bats.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top