Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 10:46 AM

Laptop help please.

I`m not really up on such things. A certain young lady I know will be 16 at the end of the summer term holiday and has her heart set on a new laptop.

My budget is around £600-I have seen them advertised at well over £1000-I cannot go that far.

Uses?-hopefully not all games and social media Something that may also come in useful for school work.

Ideas/suggestions most welcome.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 11:06 AM

Re: Laptop help please.

Originally Posted by Older git ->
I`m not really up on such things. A certain young lady I know will be 16 at the end of the summer term holiday and has her heart set on a new laptop.

My budget is around £600-I have seen them advertised at well over £1000-I cannot go that far.

Uses?-hopefully not all games and social media Something that may also come in useful for school work.

Ideas/suggestions most welcome.
Your budget will be a bit low, if you want a mac, or fine for a Windows laptop. Trouble is, youngsters seem to think Macs are the posh way to go!!

My experience is that Toshiba or Lenovo are very good as Windows Laptops..

As a spec I'd expect to get 8, or more, Gigabytes of RAM , a 64 bit processor, USB3, and (probably) W10 all included.

She should enrol in the Students software buying scheme - there's a big discount (and you can get your software there as well - I do!)
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Your budget will be a bit low, if you want a mac, or fine for a Windows laptop. Trouble is, youngsters seem to think Macs are the posh way to go!!

My experience is that Toshiba or Lenovo are very good as Windows Laptops..

As a spec I'd expect to get 8, or more, Gigabytes of RAM , a 64 bit processor, USB3, and (probably) W10 all included.

She should enrol in the Students software buying scheme - there's a big discount (and you can get your software there as well - I do!)
Thank you. Much appreciated.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 12:23 PM

I'll go along with the Toshiba and Lenovo laptops having had both types in the past. Also had an ASUS but that one wasn't very good build wise.

As Ted has mentioned, this young lady should be able to get Student discounted software, Microsoft Office in particular because most (if not all) schools and universities will use MS Word. She'd be better getting the disc-based version of the software - I advised a friend's missus to do this when her daughter got into university but she allowed herself to be talked into getting Office 360 by a PCWorld salesman instead. This is MS's cloud-based version (the software remains on the internet) which is all well and good but if you haven't got internet access it can be very limiting.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs

22-04-2017, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I'll go along with the Toshiba and Lenovo laptops having had both types in the past. Also had an ASUS but that one wasn't very good build wise.

As Ted has mentioned, this young lady should be able to get Student discounted software, Microsoft Office in particular because most (if not all) schools and universities will use MS Word. She'd be better getting the disc-based version of the software - I advised a friend's missus to do this when her daughter got into university but she allowed herself to be talked into getting Office 360 by a PCWorld salesman instead. This is MS's cloud-based version (the software remains on the internet) which is all well and good but if you haven't got internet access it can be very limiting.

Again thank you. Lenova did turn up and is affordable. This old git who is rather fond of her mother and may have a Phd is lost in this `modern` world
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2017, 08:21 PM

There's no way I'd pay double the price for an equivalent Mac.

There's no way I'd pay for the rip off that is Office 360.

In fact, if you can't get a student reduction for Microsoft Office, I'd go for the free Libre Office, which is every bit as good as MS Office. Young people, though, probably wouldn't like it because all their mates will have MS Office.
Chris173
New Member!
Bournemouth, UK
Chris173 is male 

03-05-2017, 05:48 PM

Sick of the problems I have had with Macs and Windows PCs for the past two decades, I bought a HP Chromebook six months ago and it is the best computer I have ever had. Great for email, surfing the internet and with a built-in word processor, spreadsheet and anti-virus software. There are thousands of Chrome apps and the latest models run Android apps as well. Make sure you get a model with at least 4GB of memory though. They are very fast and can be had for around £250
Sarclanat Sallyh
Essex
Sarclanat Sallyh is female 

03-05-2017, 07:07 PM

I love Chromebooks, they would be even better though if they had a disk drive
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2017, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Again thank you. Lenova did turn up and is affordable. This old git who is rather fond of her mother and may have a Phd is lost in this `modern` world
Read the customer reviews regarding levona before you buy, Older Git.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs

04-05-2017, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Fogey ->
Read the customer reviews regarding levona before you buy, Older Git.
Again many thanks-I do take note of all posts. I am going to buy my lady`s daughter a lap top. But..........it`s going to be `affordable` She has to learn(and she is not stupid-she knows) that just because other parents can spend a fortune it does not mean she is getting 2nd best.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top