Join for free
Page 16 of 16 « First < 6 14 15 16
Mountaintop
Ireland, Meath
Mountaintop is male  Mountaintop has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 10:18 PM

Re: The Irish Border Problem

Originally Posted by Missy ->
See now here where I live, North Antrim , what is very pro brexit, we see its 'you lot down there' causing the heartache

Belfast are probably rubbing their hands in glee

The Island of Ireland is very divided , not only by a hard border

Where I live I am accepted and part of the community, yet I wouldn't be welcome just 2 miles down the road
What I don't get are the Union flags. I went to the Giants Causeway with some American visitors one time and was made to feel very unwelcome in a town I can't remember the name of. God, I felt like I was in a pressure cooker, I was glad to get out.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mountaintop ->
Here we have it again. An uneducated soundbite, unresearched and without any context. Ireland did receive billions from the UK during the financial crisis and that has since been paid back in full! Sweden got a similar arrangement during the 1980s. Britain itself was bailed out by the IMF during the 1970s. Currently Britain has one of the highest debt rates in the world. The money was offered to Ireland at a time when the entire Western World was on its back and gratefully received. Read my lips: It has since been paid back in full! But I doubt that will make any difference to your outlook. And I doubt it's only Ireland you only a problem with. I suspect we're part of a very long list and, even with a perfect Brexit, will just continue to grow longer.

You're mistaken.

The loan of £3.25 billion that was permitted under the 'Loans to Ireland Act 2010' is , I believe , still in force and the loan is expected to be fully pain in 2021.

This is in addition to billions of UK Govt funded cash transfers from RBS and LLoyds to Irish banks and for writing off billions of £'s worth of toxic loans.

THe Irish fecked upmassively and the UK saved ther arses and are still saving them.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 10:27 PM

What I don't get are the Union flags. I went to the Giants Causeway with some American visitors one time and was made to feel very unwelcome in a town I can't remember the name of. God, I felt like I was in a pressure cooker, I was glad to get out.

I feel your pain

The flags and pavement painting are a hugely intimidating. Whether it's the Union or the Tricolour
Mountaintop
Ireland, Meath
Mountaintop is male  Mountaintop has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
You're mistaken.

The loan of £3.25 billion that was permitted under the 'Loans to Ireland Act 2010' is , I believe , still in force and the loan is expected to be fully pain in 2021.

This is in addition to billions of UK Govt funded cash transfers from RBS and LLoyds to Irish banks and for writing off billions of £'s worth of toxic loans.

THe Irish fecked upmassively and the UK saved ther arses and are still saving them.
You got that off the internet. The loan to the UK has a break clause but essentially has been repaid in full. Does that make you feel better? Angry man.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 10:39 PM

You got that off the internet. The loan to the UK has a break clause but essentially has been repaid in full. Does that make you feel better? Angry man.
Angry???? Speak for yourself!

If putting you right makes a person 'Angry' I'm guessing there are lots of 'Angry' people where you stay, lol!
Moscow
Scotland

08-12-2017, 10:44 PM

If putting you right makes a person 'Angry' I'm guessing there are lots of 'Angry' people where you stay, lol!

Ireland paid off the IMF , Sweden and Denmark early......NOT the UK.

So why did you lie and say that the loan was paid off?
Mountaintop
Ireland, Meath

08-12-2017, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->

Ireland paid off the IMF , Sweden and Denmark early......NOT the UK.

So why did you lie and say that the loan was paid off?
Okay, you're right, all the above is paid off in full. I can admit when I'm wrong. But the loan to the UK has a break clause which means it's not economical to pay off early. It earns quite a bit in interest for the UK. But I'm not bashing the UK. As I said before, I admire Britain. But you are bashing Ireland and have done so many times. That's why I came onto this site, to give a little balance. It's obvious from your previous posts that you are angry and anti Irish.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Both the North and South benefit greatly from EU money. There's not a new road built on either side that hasn't signs up that it was built with EU money
Talking of which, are there any roads in this country that were built with EU money?

I haven't seen any.
Moscow
Scotland

09-12-2017, 11:52 AM

Okay, you're right, all the above is paid off in full. I can admit when I'm wrong. But the loan to the UK has a break clause which means it's not economical to pay off early. It earns quite a bit in interest for the UK. But I'm not bashing the UK. As I said before, I admire Britain. But you are bashing Ireland and have done so many times. That's why I came onto this site, to give a little balance. It's obvious from your previous posts that you are angry and anti Irish.
Fair play, but I haven't shown anger, that is the wrong emotion and the only bit of Ireland that I'm am anti is the EU lapdogs of the Irish Govt that have conveniently forgotten the close ties to the UK , trade and family and were prepared to throw us to the dogs.

Btw.....a bit of pointless info. My 1st wife was Irish ( Ringsend, Dublin) which makes our three daughters technically half Irish and I have a strong fondness for Ireland and it's people whom I have always found genuinely warm, welcoming and friendly. My daughters still keep in contact with their Irish second cousins. I no longer keep any ties to Ireland although one of my work colleagues is from Tipperary.
I get that the six counties issue is extremely complicated and is fundamental to Irish politics and underscores Irish thinking and I definitely can't offer any solution to that other than say we must continue to implement the Good Friday agreement in all ways possible.

I don't usually post that sort of personal info but I thought it might give some context to my views as to why I think the Irish should accommodate the UK position rather than fall in line with the EU so readily.

I can understand why the EU works for Ireland, but it shouldn't buy into the hard dogmatic EU line and accept there are other ways to trade, to interact and to exist in this world.
The UK has chosen a different path. Accept it and work WITH us, not against us.

Page 16 of 16 « First < 6 14 15 16

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top